Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Duplicate Payroll Data Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Runner
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Runner Replybullet Topic: Duplicate Payroll Data
     Posted: 06 May 2013 at 9:03am
Hello,
I have two tables I am trying to link. One is PRGL (tells me what is posted to my General Ledger).  The second table is PRDT (has all of the payroll hours, dollars, etc.) based on EDL Code.
 
I am linking on PR Company, PR Employee, and PR End Date.  When I add the PRDT EDL Code (Earnings/Deductions/Liabiliies) my data duplicates on each EDL code.  I have tried different link options, but still does not work.  I have also tried just linking on Employee and Company.
 
Any help would be greatly appreciated.  I have worked on this report for a week to make it work.
 
Thanks.
Runner
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:07am
I think that the big question is why is the data duplicating. If it is adding detail lines for start and stop times, or credits and debits, then you can approach a couple of ways...

the basic idea is that create a group and only use the group header or group footer to display, thus eliminating the appearance of the duplication. If you are doing counts or sums, the task becomes harder, and you may need to create your own running totals, or create the correct criteria for a running total using Crystal's running total.

HTH...or at least leads to a solution.
IP IP Logged
Runner
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Runner Replybullet Posted: 06 May 2013 at 11:19am
Thank you for responding.

I tried grouping, but the return data was only one EDL (Earning/Deduction/Liablity) code.  Each payroll will have multiple EDL codes that calculate PR burdens.  I do not have any counts or sums. 

This is the data returned
Employee       EDL Code      GLAcct                  Amt       Mth
1050               1                  5000-305             374.26    2/1/13
1050               2                  5000-305             374.26    2/1/13
1050               25                5000-305             374.26    2/1/13

EDL 1 - Hourly dollars
EDL 2 - Overtime dollars
EDL 25 - Employer Social Security Withheld

Thanks.
Runner
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 4:47am
ok, just so we're on the same page, this would be an example of the data triplicating? Since the only difference is the edl code?

if so, I would expect that there is another amount column, since it makes no sense to post 3 different codes to the same gl. For that matter, I would expect that possibly codes 1 & 2 would go to the same gl, but I would expect 25 to go to another gl, or at least be a negative.

so I would look for another amount field...or maybe the detail is located in a subledger.

I am guessing that the purpose of the report is to show the different parts of the amount paid.

HTH
IP IP Logged
Runner
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Feb 2013
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Runner Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 9:33am
The data does keeps repeating.  Each employee may have as much as 10 EDL codes. Most of the EDL codes do post to the same GL expense account.  You are correct, the detail is in the subledger.

When I pull the amounts from the other table, PRDT the amounts do not tie to the GL account I am filtering on.  The result does not duplicate, but gives me the total for the employee even if some of the amounts posted to a different GL account.  The GL account is coming from the PRGL table.

I hope this makes sense. 

Thanks.
Runner
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 07 May 2013 at 12:17pm
I don't know, but it seems that the edl code has a gl account component, and I think that is what is causing the data to duplicate. If this is the case, i am not sure, off-hand, how to get around it.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum