Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Is there a way to trick CR to print blank lines Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Topic: Is there a way to trick CR to print blank lines
     Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 11:48am

What I am trying to do is create a report that would print out like a daily calendar.  With time frames going down the left hand side and then the patient information listing to the right of the time of the appt.

That is easy enough to accomplish, but the person requesting this report is also wanting it to show the times that are still open.  Example:

0900 ______________________________________

0920    John Smith   Surgery Date   Procedure

0940 ______________________________________

1000    Jane Smith   Surgery Date   Procedure

1020 ______________________________________

1040 ______________________________________

1100    Joe Schmoe   Surgery Date   Procedure

I have never had any luck getting Crystal to do anything like that and am wondering if anyone else would know a trick to get it to work.

I am using Crystal 8.5

Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 11:53am
One way would be to create a table with all the times listed in it and then do a left outer join using this table. That way all the times would be in the resultset even though the names and procedure data would be null.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 12:32pm
So I guess this is where the database issues really come in then...  I have never connected the tables from the server to any tables that do not reside on the server as well...  maybe I can find a table that we are not using and modify it so that it would work...
 
thanks for your help!
Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:04pm
Yeah, it's a bit tricky. If possible, get it working on the database side first or build it using a stored procedure. That's more reliable than using CR to generate the data. Good luck with it.

For dozens of tips and tricks for using databases and optimizing performance, check out chapters 10 and 11 in my book Crystal Reports Encyclopedia
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:15pm
Unfortunately, they never covered shared procedures in the 8.5 classes that I took several years ago.  That is one of the things I definitely want to learn as they seem to be popping up more and more throughout our healthcare software systems.
 
Do you know if stored procedures are an option in 8.5? I took the Beginners and Advanced training for 8.5 back in 2002, but I dont remember the instructor ever mentioning them.
Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 11 Dec 2007 at 1:35pm
Stored procedures are a database thing. Not CR. You build them in your database server and it results in faster data processing. They can get complicated though, so you might need some more training to really get the hang of them. You'll just have to work with the CR tables and linking for now.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Posted: 12 Dec 2007 at 5:12am
Since it is a database thing rather than CR, do you think I would need to go to an Oracle training course for that? 
 
***off to Goggle training options***
 
thanks for all your help with this!
Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 8:08am
I tried this and still was not able to get the results I wanted.  Ironically I came in this morning and it was like a lightbulb came on... 
 
I created a main report using the time table I created, and then attached the patient information to the times through a subreport.
 
I wanted to smack myself for not thinking of it sooner...
 
Thank you for all your suggestions - I just wanted to let you know how I finally got it to work.  Big%20smile
Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 11:11am
Great job! Was the light bulb as bright as the little red devil on your signature? 
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
cmpgeek
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 39
Quote cmpgeek Replybullet Posted: 13 Dec 2007 at 11:16am

I dont know about outwardly, but I was definitely feeling like the little devil on the inside  LOL...

 
thanks again!
Nomi   
CR 10    
Oracle 9i
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum