Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Shared Variables - Grouping and Naming Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
bmcnary1
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote bmcnary1 Replybullet Topic: Shared Variables - Grouping and Naming
     Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 2:43am
Hi All,

I've got a pretty large project (annual financial statements) which was handled by another before me. The runtime of the reports I'm working with is crazy; it'll take hours(sometimes more) for a set of reports for a certain fund. It's a pain in the rear end in terms of proofing because when I try to change something I need to regenerate. From inception of the project (before my time), sharing variables was never thought of despite the crystals using the exact same underlying reports.

I'm considering biting the bullet and just redoing the reports to share. While I have the logic I need down, I had a few questions in terms of how to set up my groups and naming convention of shared variables. This is really my first large project using shared variables and any input would be greatly appreciated.

1. When you share variables, how do you set up your groups on different reports? Do you create a master group report which you use throughout the crystal? I was thinking that maybe groups don't even matter because the shared variable comes from another report and the variable derives its value from that grouping. Is this the correct line of thinking?

2. Because of the volume of shared variables, what do you recommend in terms of naming conventions? Currently I was doing "FinancialStatement""Name of Item". For instance, Organization cost on the statement of cash flows would be "CFOrgCost". If you all see any holes in this approach, please let me know.

Again, any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Brandon
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 23 Jan 2013 at 6:00am
I am not sure what you mean by sharing and group...
A shared variable is a single value (or an array) and you can't really group by the shared variable, as there is only 1 per report, and doesn't exist at the time that the data is being read from the database
 
You can use a shared variable to filter data (at least I think you can...never tried)
 
As far as naming conventions, I've never had a large enough report to need a convention, so to start, probably any convention will work
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
bmcnary1
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 Oct 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote bmcnary1 Replybullet Posted: 24 Jan 2013 at 8:48am
Thanks for the response. That's what I was thinking; that you can't group by a shared variable. What I think i'm going to try and do is build a master report which contains the appropriate grouping information and drive in the shared data that way. Hopefully this works.

Thanks again,
Brandon
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum