| Author |
Message |
rlivermore
Groupie
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
|

Topic: Dynamic division forumula Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 8:13am |
Running CR 10 Pro Our fiscal year is from December 1 to November 30, I have a working running total for each sales rep. Would like to setup a running average for each rep's year to date totals. Example of what I'd to accomplish, if possible, report is run from December 1,2012 to today which is 2 months into our fiscal year. Name: YTD: Ave: RepA 500 250 RepB 1,000 500 If ran next month with new totals Name: YTD: Ave: RepA 900 300 RepB 2,000 667
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:08am |
i'm an not a running total user, but what I would do is create a running total count of the number of items that comprise the running total, then all you need to do is divide your running total by the running count... HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
rlivermore
Groupie
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
|

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 10:26am |
|
Unless I'm not understanding your suggestion that won't work. Looking for a YTD average for each rep based on the total dollar amont sold by rep and divided by the number of months into the fiscal year at the time the report is run.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 11 Jan 2013 at 12:14pm |
ok, so if you know the number of months into the fiscal year, just divide your running total per rep by that number.
|
IP Logged |
|
rlivermore
Groupie
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:30am |
|
True, that does work for manual manipulation but I'm wanting to make this a dynamic option, if possible.
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 7:27am |
I think that I am confused or perhaps I misunderstood. You want a average for each rep that is the (YTD sales / months YTD), at least that is what I thought you said. If this is so, all you need to do is determine how many months have passed in the fiscal year. The only question would be complete months or partial. In January, you are 1 complete month into the fiscal year, or 2 if you include January.... or am I missing your intent?
|
IP Logged |
|
rlivermore
Groupie
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:04am |
Let me try and clarify...I would like the report to be able to do the division based on the current date instead of my going into the report each month to manually manipulate the division number for accurate calcuations. If the current date is December then the report would divide each rep's totals by 1 if the current date is March it would divide by 4 if the current date is November it would divide by 12, etc...
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 8:38am |
number to divide by: shared numbervar mnths; local numbervar x :=month({?dateParameter}); if x < 12 then mnths := x +1; else mnths := 1; mnths now just use the variable mnths to divide your reps total YTD sales.
|
IP Logged |
|
rlivermore
Groupie
Joined: 27 Sep 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 70
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 9:34am |
|
Sorry but the code you listed is beyond my understanding, do I simply copy and paste the code you listed in my current "manual" formula? I don't know what you mean by "just use the variable mnths to divide your reps total YTD sales".
|
IP Logged |
|
lockwelle
Moderator
Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
|

Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 10:59am |
since all values would be divided by the same value, I would probably put this in a formula that i would place in the report header...so it is only called once. In addition to hide the number, I would replace the last line with ""...but for the initial debugging, I would leave the code alone (just to make sure that the value is what you think it should be) As to how to use it: where you want the average to be calculated you would add: shared numbervar mnths; ... your code repsTotalSalesYTD / mnths which parts don't you understand? basically I declare some values I want to use, I use the date parameter that your user has entered to determine what month it is (month({?dateparameter}). If the month is not december (x<12), I add 1 to it, as that is the number of month in the fiscal year that have elapse. If it is December (x=12), then only 1 month has occurred. I stored this value in variable that is accessible from anywhere in the report. Later when you want to use the value, you just tell the report what value you want to use (shared numbervar) HTH
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|