Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Retrieve Field Alias Descriptions from DB2 Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JennyB
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote JennyB Replybullet Topic: Retrieve Field Alias Descriptions from DB2
     Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 12:31am
Hi :)

I was wondering if there was a way to let Crystal Reports (2008) know the alias for a field name in a table? I've got a lot of reports to convert and I'm using Add Command and it's going to take ages if I have to put SELECT TITL20 AS Title etc in for every field I use. There are descriptions for each field in our iSeries DB2 database, could Crystal read those? If not, is there a way I can name them once somewhere and have it remember? We don't have Crystal Server so that doesn't sound hopeful to me, but it would be nice.. :)

Thanks,

Jenny
IP IP Logged
shanth
Groupie
Groupie


Joined: 06 Aug 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 75
Quote shanth Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 9:06am
If you need them as headers in your report: drag n drop the fields and edit text and rename them.
If thats not you need, write formula something like:
IF Field1= 'TITL20' Then 'Title'
  Else if Field1= 'XXXX' Then 'yyyy'
  Else if Field2= 'aaaa' then 'bbbb'
  ELSE ' '
IP IP Logged
JennyB
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 26 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote JennyB Replybullet Posted: 27 Dec 2012 at 10:35pm
Hi,

Thanks, thats what I thought I might need to do, I've got a ridiculous work-around now where I've exported the field names and descriptions out of the iSeries and into Excel, I've set up a directory mail merge in Word with the text below and put it all into a macro to find and replace '<newline>LIBRARY.TABLE.FIELD,' with '<newline>LIBRARY.TABLE.FIELD as FIELD_DESCRIPTION,' for every field in every table that might come into my reports. I've copied the SQL from Crystal's Add Command into Word (with all of its smart quotes etc autoformatting turned off) and run the macro over it and pasted it back. There are hundreds of queries I need to convert with too many fields to have done it manually unfortunately. Its a bit of a pest, but it works! :)

    With Selection.Find
        .Text = "^13  «Library».«Table».«Field»,^13"
        .Replacement.Text = "^13  «Library».«Table».«Field» as «Field_Description»,^13"
    End With
    Selection.Find.Execute Replace:=wdReplaceAll
«Next Record»
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum