Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: The data is shrinking Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
deprerama
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote deprerama Replybullet Topic: The data is shrinking
     Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 1:11am
I am sorry. This is probably a trivial problem but I couldn't solve it myself and wouldn't even know what to google for to attempt finding a solution.

I only recently started working with Crystal Reports. I'm using the 2008 Edition, Version 12.3.0.601 by the way, in case that that ends up being important.

Anyway, I have a database with customer information. The goal for now is to make a simple report that is just a basic customer list with names, adresses, phone numbers and so on.

I start with putting the name of the company somewhere on the report. Look at the preview and get something around 2000 pages with a bunch of names listed. Now let's say I add the name of the company owner to the list. This is something that made out of three fields. One for Mister or Misses, the other for the First Name and the third for the Last Name. After including those the preview will have shrunken a lot. Only displaying roughly 300 pages.

All of the displayed entries appear to show a full owner name. If the owner of the company is unknown, even only partly (Like only the last name is in the database), it appears like it will be skipped over completely.

Naturally I'd want Crystal Reports to print the entry even if a "minor detail" like that is not known. And I didn't figure out how to do it. I do have some sample reports that were provided by the company that installed the database and the program that manages it. As far as I can tell I've done the database connecting part just like they did, picking the right database and the same tables and linking things just like in the sample.

The only difference that I could spot there that one of their database tables has only 5 values displayed in the field-explorer while I have 7 values in there. It seems to have the same name and comes from the same place, though. So I don't really know what that means.

Basically I'd like to know if there is just some option or formula that I'm missing or if I really just messed up the connection to the database somehow.

Thank you very much and sorry if this post is a bit hard to understand. I'm using a non-english version of the software so some of the Crystal Reports related terms are direct translations and maybe don't make any sense...

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:04am
Likely a join issue

http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=18040


Edited by DBlank - 06 Dec 2012 at 2:05am
IP IP Logged
deprerama
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Dec 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote deprerama Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:34am
Well I guess I wasted your and my time. Probably more mine than yours. I did look at the join stuff several times while attempting to get that report to work and each time I missed the fact that one of the connections was slightly off. It was only when I was about to take screenshots of it to ask if that is what you meant with "join" when I realized the difference between my version and the sample report.

Ugh. I'm feeling more stupid now.
Thanks a lot, though!
IP IP Logged
comatt1
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 19 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 337
Quote comatt1 Replybullet Posted: 06 Dec 2012 at 2:54am
DBLANK makes many of people on here feel stupid, even the ones who post in the hopes of sharing occasional credit with him. :)
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum