Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal 11.5 on Windows XP Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Bigrbtrout
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Bigrbtrout Replybullet Topic: Crystal 11.5 on Windows XP
     Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 1:34am
I'm having trouble getting Crystal 11.5 to run on XP Pro SP3.  I've got it working on a couple of workstations, but not the one that matters.  The new workstation is set to run reports automatically throughout the day/night, so I can't use an existing workstation.
 
It starts and opens, but when I open an existing report I get unhandled win32 exception on crw32.exe.  The error in the parenthesis is different each time.
 
The weird thing is that it will open a few reports.  As a guess, the reports it won't open were created with old version 7, but modified and saved in V11.5; the ones that it opens fine were originally created in V11.5. 
 
I could really use some help on this.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:15am
The underlying internal structure of the .rpt file changed dramatically when version 9 came out, so that can have an affect on older reports that were opened and saved with the new version.
How many of the "old" reports do you have?  Have you tested running them in Crystal on another workstation?  Several years ago I migrated a bunch of reports from 8.5 to 11.5 and ran into some problems with the reports where we had manually modified the query in 8.5 - that type of modification is not allowed in 11.5, so the data didn't link correctly in the new version.  Has something like that been done with your reports?  If so, you'll have to recreated them from scratch.  The good news is that 11.5 will quite happily live side-by-side with the older versions, so you can have the old version of the report open in 7 and then copy and paste fields and formulas from the old to the new after you set up the tables and links in the new version.  Line don't always copy/paste and I would try copying any charts or cross-tabs you may have, but everthing else will paste with no problems.
 
-Dell
 
IP IP Logged
Bigrbtrout
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 30 Jul 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Bigrbtrout Replybullet Posted: 17 Oct 2012 at 6:18am

I've opened them and run them on the PC I'm trying to replace, so that doesn't seem to be the issue.  It appears to be only this PC.

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum