Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: How to overcome group sorting Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rusmanicai
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote rusmanicai Replybullet Topic: How to overcome group sorting
     Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 9:44am
Hello Guys,
I am working on a report for my boss that is supposed to group all orders by customer, then by year, then by the month of the year when the order was placed.
I did all that, I even added a cross-tab so he can see the months as columns an years as rows, showing a total per year in the last column.
Now, he wants me to sort the report descending using the total order value per each account.
I have tried and tried, but cannot figure it out.
My groups (account/year/month) are already sorting teh report based on accounts starting with 1, then 2..., then based on year: 2011, 2012, then month....and I just cannot figure out what to do.
He said my report looks great but is useless because he needs to look through 16 pages to find out who is in Top 10 customers.
Please help :(
Thanks,
Julia.
IP IP Logged
Abhi
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 23 Jul 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote Abhi Replybullet Posted: 24 Jul 2012 at 10:44am
I feel you should group by year,month,and then by customer. Then on the group of customer click on options and goto group sort order formula.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 3:45am
So, if I understand you correctly, you have a cross-tab for each customer.  Your boss wants you to sort the customer data descending by the total value each customer has purchased.  Is this correct?
 
If so, you'll group by customer only - your year and month groups should be handled by the crosstab itself.  Then do the following (this assumes that you're using Crystal 2008 or 2011 - I don't have a copy of any earlier version to see if this will work there...):
 
1.  Create a summary at the customer level for total sales.
2.  Go to the Report menu and select "Group Sort Expert".
3.  In the expert, select the total sales summary that you created in step 1.  Then select "Descending" sort.
 
This should give you what you need.
 
-Dell
 
 
IP IP Logged
rusmanicai
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 14 Sep 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote rusmanicai Replybullet Posted: 25 Jul 2012 at 10:40am
Dell,
Thank you so much for your help. My boss thinks I am amazing. I have grouped the orders by customer, added a sort order in the group expert as you said, added the cross tab and then grouped by year and month so my boss can drill down and look at each month if he wants to.
THanks.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum