Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal reports has stopped working-- error messag Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
harlylux
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Jan 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote harlylux Replybullet Topic: Crystal reports has stopped working-- error messag
     Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 4:37am

Hi-

I have a crystal reports application that processes multiple crystal report objects every day (usually 25-50) and has for the last 5 years. I use CR 11.5 (on Windows XP) but also have the program in CR 2008 (on Windows 7) for overflow processing. They both use a sql server 2008 r2 database.

Anyways, the reports are very complex, and range from 50 to 80 pages of statistical analyses, and may process 1k to 10k rows of data. I have processed up to 150,000 rows of data and it'll take 10-15 hours to do that! The client has now asked us to process 300,000 rows of data and the report does not seem able to and I can't figure out why. It loads all of the records in fine, but at some point in processing, it seems to just stall. I get the message "Crystal reports has stopped working error message" and it happens in CR 11.5, CR 2008 and on both XP and 7 machines (I have tried 32 and 64 bit).

Do you think that Crystal is running out of system resources? Is there some natural limitations to processing a report? I can't tell if this is hardware or CR related. Any suggestions are welcome.

Thank you.

Edited by harlylux - 19 Jun 2012 at 4:37am
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 20 Jun 2012 at 7:40am
I'm guessing that CR is running out of memory...maybe not system memory but whatever memory it uses.  I am guessing that there are lots of formulas and variables being used, and the more there are the slower CR seems to run...
 
also remember that cr reads all the data at least 2 times in processing a report for sorting/grouping and other internal processes.
 
Since I have sent in files with as many rows or more but no where near that processing time...so it has to be the formulas running for each line of report.
 
If you use a stored proc, you could try and off load of some of these calculations to the DB Server...but that would mean rewriting the reports which I am sure you have no wish to do.
 
The only thing to come to mind is to look at the system resources as the report runs, I realize that it obviously hours into the report that it fails...which implies checking the window logs (I don't use them so I don't know which they are, but it's worth some time to see if they have a reason for the failure) or to get some sort of tracking software to see what is happening on the system when it fails.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum