Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Generate long (400+) character text output Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
stonewall63
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 23 May 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 11
Quote stonewall63 Replybullet Topic: Generate long (400+) character text output
     Posted: 11 Jun 2012 at 2:32pm

I have a rather complex and busy CR 2008 SP3 report to generate a fixed-length text file to send to a third-party. Problem is, when I export the report as text, it’s blank.

I did some searching online and received the hint that the available print drivers and page setup determines what’s possible. I have my “page” setup as custom, 38 inches wide to get all the data into one line. Looks great on the screen but blank when exporting.

My attempt based on what I read was to change the page setup to Letter, Landscape. I changed for format of the output field (415 characters!), to Arial, with a font size of 1. Made sure the width of the field fit onto the design setup’s 11 inches. That worked!

Of course, it’s hard to read in the Crystal Report. But the file is fine.

Question: Is this the correct approach?
Are there other ways to get around this within CR 2008?

(We have to use CR 2008 since it’s the bundled report writer within a larger software package.)

Thanks,
Brad

IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum