Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Writing to a text file Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
hameed
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 31 Oct 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote hameed Replybullet Topic: Writing to a text file
     Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 6:17pm
Hi Guys,
 
I am pretty new to using Crystal Reports so bear with me.
 
We have a proprietory database. Through our client we are are able to generate crystal reports using ODBS(RDO) connection. There is no simple way for me to write back to the database from Crystal.
 
The best way I thought I could is if I can somehow generate a delimited text file once the print command is given.
 
Just to rephrase, I simply want to be able to design a report that when it is generated, after the print command is given, a file can be generated.
 
Is it somehow possible. I am using: 9.2.0.448 CR Professional
 
 
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 31 Oct 2007 at 9:37pm
Yes, you can write back to the database. I wrote a whole section on it in my book. Wait, I see that you are using v9. I'm not sure about that. I know you can do it in v10 and XI. However, it's a bit convoluted to make it happen. You have to use a Command object that uses multiple SQL statements and you also have to put the Command object in a subreport. Try it out and see if it works with V9 b/c I'm not sure. I also have sample reports in the book to try out that are compatible with CR XI if you decide to upgrade at some point.

I don't think there is anyway to write to a text file.
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
wattsjr
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 25 Jun 2007
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 51
Quote wattsjr Replybullet Posted: 05 Nov 2007 at 9:28am
Hi hameed,
 
If what Brian suggested isn't possible for your version of CR, and all that you want to get is a .csv file for uploading data back into your database, you might try the following;
 
Design the report so that all of the required fields are in the Detail section.
Suppress ALL other sections.
Run the report.
While viewing the report, use the Export function (the little envelope icon) to export the report to a file.
 
This should give you a number of file-type options, including csv and Excel.
 
Regards,
-jrw
IP IP Logged
creativewriters
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote creativewriters Replybullet Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 5:12pm
Optimizing robot text is very important, if you are done website  might crawl your website. 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum