Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Really weird problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 53
Quote dbodell Replybullet Topic: Really weird problem
     Posted: 05 Jun 2012 at 11:34am
OK, I have a really weird problem and I need help to resolve this. I have a report which runs on my own laptop which runs differently on another person's machine. For example, in a couple of cases when I've used the totext function on a year field and I have forgotten to add the parameters to keep it from using decimal places and commas. On my laptop (Crystal 2008, BTW) the year shows up as the appropriate number 2012. On the other person's machine, same version and service pack as mine, it shows up as 2,012.00. 
In an even more aggravating mystery, I have a bunch of formulas in which I have to subtract from a month field that is defined in the database as a nchar field (2). So in the data, the month of February is 02, for example, not 2. In order to subtract one month from the starting month of the report, I have to turn the field value into a number, subtract 1 from it, and then turn it back into a text field with a zero in front of it. On my machine I am getting data returned into the various columns for current month, previous month, month before that, etc. perfectly. On the other machine, none of the formulas where I have to do the subtraction work at all. I know how I can get around this but it will involve changing about 20 formulae, so if I can avoid this, I would prefer to. Has anyone else seen this type of behavior between two different machines with the same version of Crystal 2008? Is there a setting somewhere that I'm missing that is causing this? I've searched through the options everywhere and cannot find anything.
 
Help is greatly appreciated.
 
 
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 7:00am
It normally comes down to the options for the different fields (unless you override them within a formula).  Also there seems to be some interaction between Windows and Crystal.  The staff here has had to set the Crystal Reports up with the same options so that we do not get strange formatting like you have reported.  Or make the point (especially with ToText) to make sure that we do not use the default options (Totext({afield},0,"").
IP IP Logged
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 53
Quote dbodell Replybullet Posted: 06 Jun 2012 at 8:58am
Gosh I wish it were that simple. I actually have checked all of her field set up options and they are exactly the same as mine. We are also both on 64bit machines running Windows 7. Honestly it is the strangest behavior I have ever seen. I've never had to code a formula having to keep the machine it is running on in mind.
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
kevlray
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 29 Oct 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1587
Quote kevlray Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 5:36am
Something oddball is definitely going on.  I do not have any other suggestions.
IP IP Logged
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 53
Quote dbodell Replybullet Posted: 07 Jun 2012 at 7:19am
Thanks for thinking about it anyway.
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum