Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Report to show totals of survey answers Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
smiths37
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 30 May 2012
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote smiths37 Replybullet Topic: Report to show totals of survey answers
     Posted: 30 May 2012 at 7:46am
I am trying to create a report to show totals of survey answers but I don't think that I'm grasping the logic behind what I need to do.  Here's what I need to do:
A judge can receive an evaluation that is done by either an attorney or a party in the case (so I have two respondent types for the evaluation).
Each respondent type will have a different set of questions that they've responded to using set answers (for example, question 1 could be answered with outstanding, good, fair, or unsatisfactory.  But question 11 can be answered with strongly agree, somewhat agree, etc.)
For each judge that has an evaluation entered, I need to show the judge's name, the total number of evaluations received, the total number received for each respondent type, and a count of the responses for each question/answer combo (for example, they received 4 "goods" on question 1 for the attorney respondent type).  Then I need to total the number of "goods", "fairs", etc.
I know I'll probably have to do some grouping, summing, etc.  But I just don't exactly know where to start.  Can anyone offer some help?

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 3:43am
while I have never done this type of report with CR, I think / am leaning towards a cross tabs style report.
 
I am thinking that the rows going down would be the questions and the values across the top would be the answers...but I am not sure exactly how to accomplish this....I don't use cross tabs very often.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
rkrowland
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
Quote rkrowland Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2012 at 4:46am

Create 2 groups, 1st on table.judge and the 2nd on table.respondenttype.

 
As different questions can have various answers (ie good or agree) you may want to create a formula that instead creates a score for the answers so you don't have blank spaces in your cross-tab for different questions.
 
eg
 
if table.answer in ("Outstanding","Strongly Agree") then 5 else
if table.answer in ("Good","Somewhat Agree") then 4
etc....
 
Now insert the cross-tab Lockwell mentioned in the details section with a count summary with your questions field as the rows and the above formula as the columns.
 
That should get you started.
 
Regards,
Ryan.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum