Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Using stored procedures in the crystal cycle Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
dbodell
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 53
Quote dbodell Replybullet Topic: Using stored procedures in the crystal cycle
     Posted: 18 May 2012 at 11:05am
I was wondering what the sequence of events is in Crystal with respect to running a stored procedure and returning data to the report. I have a report that goes through the database query (my stored procedure) very quickly according to the performance stats, but it reads the records very slowly.
 
Does Crystal start processing the data from the stored procedure before the stored procedure is completed or only once all the records are pulled?
 
What would cause the report to read the records very slowly? I am not using any of the normal performance hogs, like page numbers, subreports, or commands. The records that are being read are already aggregated by SQL. The vast majority of my parameters are passed to the stored procedure, although there are a few that I have kept in the report, which are primarily for formatting choices. There is one parameter which allows the user to enter specific codes to look for or to select "ALL" for all of the codes. So I know that the report is reading summarized data for all codes and then filtering to the ones I want to see. If I could easily pass a list of values to SQL from Crystal I would, but it isn't that easy without a custom function to split out the values.
 
The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using flexible grouping. I have 3 parameters, one for each of the three possible group levels. The user gets to decide what to group on for each of these levels. Other reports of mine use this feature and don't read records slowly. So I'm not sure that this is the issue.
 
I would appreciate some experienced developer insight here. Any suggestions  are welcome.
 
Thanks,
D. Bodell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum