Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Can't format a field inside text box in 2008?? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
transtead
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote transtead Replybullet Topic: Can't format a field inside text box in 2008??
     Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 8:41am
I use a feature in Crystal Reports all of the time.  The ability to format a field inside a text box. 
 
I just installed 2008 (including all service packs), and began building my first report in 2008, and I 'lo and behold I was not able to change the formatting on my "embedded" field.
 
When I right click on my field, I see the option "Format {?myText}", but it's grayed out.  I've tried many ways to get at it including choosing the option via the Format menu -- also grayed out.
 
Since I'm not one to trust new releases,  I've kept XI on my machine.  I opened the same report in that version, and I could change the formatting of the field like I always have.
 
So, why is the "Format..." option grayed out when I right-click on an "embedded" field?
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 13 Nov 2008 at 4:24pm
I haven't seen this before. I wonder if its a problem with converting that field from XI to 2008. What about adding a new text box to the report and trying it there?
Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
rahulwalawalkar
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jun 2007
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 731
Quote rahulwalawalkar Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 12:27am
Hi
Can you mail me ur report
 
 
Cheers
Rahul
IP IP Logged
transtead
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote transtead Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 8:19am

New textbox doesn't work either.  I've tried different data types to see if it was, perhaps, an unsupported type -- but all data types do the same thing.  I simply see the option grayed out.

I'm not sure that emailing you the .rpt file would accomplish anything.  I'm assuming that the capability works normally on your computer?
 
However, is there a way to post images here (or another forum)??  I could give you some screen shots of what I'm talking about.
IP IP Logged
BrianBischof
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 09 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2458
Quote BrianBischof Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 9:55am

You can't post pics here, but you can post them to a common site (e.g. Flikr.com and include the link here.

Please support the forum! Tell others by linking to it on your blog or website:<a href="http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/forum/">Crystal Reports Forum</a>
IP IP Logged
transtead
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 13 Nov 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote transtead Replybullet Posted: 14 Nov 2008 at 12:33pm

The function works on my buddy's machine, but he hasn't installed all of the service packs yet (im on ver. 12.1.0.892).

It might have to do with my parallel install (although my buddy has that on his computer too)
//comment your code
IP IP Logged
angieb1008
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 27 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote angieb1008 Replybullet Posted: 12 Apr 2012 at 9:48am
I'm sure you have already figured this out a long time ago but maybe someone else can benefit.

In the design view, double click on the text box then highlight and right click on the field you want to format. Select 'edit embedded field'. In my case it is a formula field. Once I go into the formula expert and come back out, I right click the field again and format{fieldname} is not grayed out anymore. I am able to format my date. 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum