| Author |
Message |
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Topic: Merge documents Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 12:32am |
|
Hi all,
I have 2 seperate reports at the moment. Now I need to merge these 2 reports. Is there a simple way of doing this, or do I actually need to manually copy paste everything from 1 file to another? One file is more then 200 sections, while the other one is more then 600 pages, so if this is the case I would be a bit upset.
Thanks in advance again!
KR
Gerben
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
rkrowland
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 1:50am |
I'm not sure how you want the data displaying or what each report looks like, but I'm going to assume you want to show both reports in their entirety and 1 straght after the other.
If that's the case you can create a new report to act as a container and insert your 2 reports in to it as sub-reports one below the other in different sections.
If it's not that simple please provide more details.
Regards,
Ryan.
|
IP Logged |
|
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:10am |
|
I think the problem with that is, that both reports contain letters. These are called from our operational program. When we request a letter, it request a code, belonging to a certain section. It then only shows that section, i.e. that letter. When I put this as a subreport, I could post all 200 letter codes in the 'suppress if' code in the section expert, but will it also look in the subreport for this code? If it will, it would be a great solution, but if it won't this option won't work unfortunately
|
IP Logged |
|
rkrowland
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:15am |
How do you determine which section you want to display? Via parameter?
You could create a parameter in the main (container) report with the list of sections and filter both of the subreports based on the value selected in the subreport links.
Regards,
Ryan.
|
IP Logged |
|
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 2:48am |
|
In the section expert, at the 'Suppress (No Drill-Down) X-2, we created a formula saying that if the code is for example 'ABCDE' then I want to show the section, otherwise suppress it. We call for this code is from our operational system.
|
IP Logged |
|
rkrowland
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:06am |
I assume this is the one with over 200 sections?
This is a pretty long/manual/drawn out process!! =D
Have you tried doing this in 1 sections that repeats for every code and use the record select filter to only display the one you want?
Regards,
Ryan.
|
IP Logged |
|
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:21am |
|
I would rather not mess around with the file if it isn't absolutely necessary... it took me 2 weeks to get al the data in the right place, figure out the right formula's, making sure only the right letters are shown... And we are already working with this file. So if you would have another solution that might work i would appreciate it
I want to merge these files, because it would take me more than a day to manually copy paste everything in the right report.
|
IP Logged |
|
rkrowland
Senior Member
Joined: 20 Dec 2011
Location: England
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 259
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 3:36am |
Well you may want to look at redesigning the report in the future as by the sounds of it (obviously I don't know everything it needs to do), it's way more complex than it needs to be.
For now, if you can get the section code in to the main (container) report via your operational system there's no reason why you can't conditionally surpress your subreport the same way you are now, by use of a parameter.
IE - create a parameter field in your subreport, change the surpress formulas of the various sections to check the code against this parameter. Then link your subreport to the main report via this parameter to a field that contains the section code you wish to view.
Regards,
Ryan. Edited by rkrowland - 04 Apr 2012 at 3:37am
|
IP Logged |
|
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:57am |
|
I am trying to do this, but when I try to link the subreport, I don't see the parameter? I can see all the different formula's, but the parameter isn't there. Do I need te make a formula based on the parameter, and link it with this?
|
IP Logged |
|
Gurbs
Senior Member
Joined: 16 Feb 2012
Location: Ireland
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 216
|

Posted: 04 Apr 2012 at 4:58am |
|
Never mind, I wasn't looking right! Found it, I'm gonna test it now
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|