Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Optimize for Screen Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Topic: Optimize for Screen
     Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 7:29am
I'm creating a Dashboard-like report that will be displayed on a 28" monitor. I have a lot of room to work with. My vision is to embed 6 to 8 sub-reports (charts only) into the main report and have it refresh on the screen every 20 minutes. My question is......

How do I get Crystal reports to allow for 24" X 14" on the screen. The best I've been able to do is create a custom size on a network printer but the biggest it can do is 17 X 11. Crystal is only allowing me to setup print sizes based on my configured printers. Is there some way of just making Crystal Reports setup any print dimension that I want?
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 7:55am
at least in CR2008, go to file/page setup.
 
click Dissociate formatting page size and printer page size....then set the size you want, click ok.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 8:16am
I tried that. I'm using XI R2. I can type in any size I want but the design view does expand beyond the printers page size and I can't drag object past a certain point.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 9:12am
did you also put a check mark in No Printer?
 
hmm....
 
I don't know about the vertical part, but in CR2008, I could drop a cell all the way out to 24".
 
Sorry I don't have access to a XI version any more.
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:40am
Check that...What I did was check "No Printer"..what I don't have is the disassociate option. I don't see it under page setup. Hmmm....
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 06 Mar 2012 at 10:44am
sorry, must be new option in 2008.
 
didn't really have need of it then...or now.
 
I started checking the no printer so that I could see my layouts that were in 6pt arial...looked fine printed, but was tiny dots in the UI.
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 07 Mar 2012 at 8:46am
So my work around is what a lot of people have done. I downloaded the drivers (full setup install) for the HP DesignJet 510 (42" model). The nice thing is that when you install the plotter software you can choose "Connected to File" as a setup option (as opposed to Network or Local connection). So I configured my "plotter" as connected to file and made it the default printer and launched Crystal. I can make this report page ridiculously big now. Works like a champ.
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum