Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Repeating Group Sections Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Topic: Repeating Group Sections
     Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:34am
Riddle me this.

I have a report where a single Group has 4 sections (GH1a - GH1d). GH1a is grouped on region and shows a count of devices. GH1b c and d have charts only - that displays version of an application (per vendor). Each section focuses on a single app. This works fine - my report is simply a set of charts (9 pages total). The nice thing is that there is a set of charts per region (1 page per region).

My problem is when I add another section (GH1e) - all of a sudden my page count shoots to 65. The three original charts repeat on multiple pages( 7 or 8 pages of repeating charts). The last chart that I added shows only on the second page of the region group. AND is squished down - illegible.

It's not the chart that is the problem, its this 5th group section. I don' even have to put a chart in the section, I can just add section GH1e and my report goes from 9 pages to 65 pages and the three charts repeat 8 times then a new region group starts and the second group of charts repeat again 8 times - and so on.

I'm scratching my head because I don't understand what is causing the repetition.

Any ideas?

Thank you!
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 8:57am
do you have 'repeat group header on each page' set to true?
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:03am
Yes..but I needed to keep that. I'm sorry to keep firing off these posts. It does help me though - to just talk it out.

I created a new GH1 group and moved my original group to GH2a-d. GH1 repeats, GH2 does not. This created a new set of problems with GH1 either having a blank page or GH1 displaying at the end of GH2 as the group value changed.
I eventually got it sorted out but I definitely lack some understanding as to how the groups are displayed - and what each setting does to the report. I understand the core components - I use them all of the time- but sometimes I get behavior that is totally unexpected.

In this situation, I had to make the last section (GH2d)fill an entire page to push GH1 to the next page - This then created an issue where GH1 showed on page 1 improperly but showed on the rest of the report correctly. I fixed that with a formula suppress PageNumber = 1. So I got it worked out - but its a little Rube Goldberged - if you know what I mean.

Thanks again Dblank - I always know you have a good answer.

Edited by tdavenport - 29 Feb 2012 at 10:05am
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 10:32am

FYI there is a different and possibly more reliable solution to make different parts of a GH repeat and others not

inrepeatedgroupheader can be used to hide/show.
it returns TRUE or FALSE based on if the GH is the first instance of the GH(FALSE) or subsequent instances of that GH (TRUE).
It is also a tool to use to add verbiage onto the repeated GH.
For example
GH field format editor
common tab
display string formula use this to add a '(cont.)' to your header
 
currentfieldvalue  + if inrepeatedgroupheader then ' (cont.)' else ''
IP IP Logged
tdavenport
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Oct 2008
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Quote tdavenport Replybullet Posted: 29 Feb 2012 at 1:29pm
Another gem. Where do you get this stuff? I'll give that a shot too. As always..thank you!
Any and all suggestions are welcome.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum