Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Formatting Bar Charts Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
KMendels
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote KMendels Replybullet Topic: Formatting Bar Charts
     Posted: 24 Feb 2012 at 10:28am
I'm trying to create a simple bar chart in version 8.5.  On the change of month, it is to show the number of cases per month.
 
I got the chart working but need to edit labels.  For month, it is showing the number not the name in the legend and the label for the bottom of the chart.  How can I get it to show the name of the month instead?
 
Second question - I'm running the report from 7/01/2010 to 6/30/11.  I want July of 2010 to be the first bar all the way to 6/11 being the last bar.  But the chart puts 1 (January) as the first bar to 12 (December) being the last bar.  How can I reorder the bars so 7 (July) is the first bar and 6 (June is the last bar)?
 
 


Edited by KMendels - 24 Feb 2012 at 10:32am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:04am
if you set the 'on change of'  to use the date field, click on order button, set it top use 'for each month' it will group on the month and leave the order in calender sequence.
IP IP Logged
KMendels
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote KMendels Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:22am
Thank you!  That took care of my order problem.
 
Now the labels are saying 7/2010...6/2011.  Is there a way I can change the bar labels to read July '10...June '11?
 
Also, those labels are printing horizontally.  Is there a way I can get them to print vertically?
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:32am
I am not sure in v8.5...
try and select the label
right click
select format axis label
you should get an option for roation of the text
 
Sorry, I have not found an easy solution for changing the label text (in a graph).
Usually people end up converting the date field into text that they want but then that meeses up the sort (as you already found). I think they end up with a string of string that keeps the order but looks weird and is not really what they wanted.
IP IP Logged
KMendels
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote KMendels Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:48am
Thanks!
 
I don't seem to be able to only click on the label.  Whenever I click on a label I select the entire chart.
 
Yeah -  I was able to convert the date into the month name, but then I wasn't able to sort properly.  What is this string of strings you talk about?


Edited by KMendels - 27 Feb 2012 at 4:51am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 4:55am

in v11 you can click once on the chart to select it then point directly at an axis value and click one to select that then right click to get the options menu i mentioned. Maybe search around in the menus to see if you can get to it (format Axis Labels options) via another avenue.

IP IP Logged
KMendels
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote KMendels Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:05am
Thanks!  I'll play around with it some more.

Last question - is there an easy way to change the color of the bars?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:10am
there is the Color Highlight option.
You can set the color based on a condition (like the month).
IP IP Logged
KMendels
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 24 Feb 2012
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 14
Quote KMendels Replybullet Posted: 27 Feb 2012 at 5:10am
Ignore the last question - I just discovered Chart Analyzer.  I'm able to make those changes in there.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum