| Author |
Message |
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Topic: Prompting Dynamic and Static Posted: 14 Feb 2012 at 5:49am |
Greetings,
I have a report parameter that is currently dynamic. It offers a list of user login ID's and allows you to select one or more login ID's.
I would like to add to this prompt an optional free form entry field for old login ID's that have been purged from the Login ID master list, but still have history in the data base.
And I want to do this with one prompt, not two. I have achieved the end goal with an additional static parameter, but the powers that be want one prompt box. A problem with two prompts is that when I run the report for a purged Login ID the first paramter for the Login ID from the master list requires an value...
Thanks for your ideas!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 10:52am |
Ok, no takers...
How about this?
I add a parameter for selecting one of two options:
1. All login ID's
2. Select Login ID's
If I select option "1 all login ID's" then I could turn off the prompting for a list of login ID's. If this can be done, how do I turn off a parameter prompt?
Thanks
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 11:11am |
post 1: why not use the field from the history table as your source as it has all the values you want?
post 2: you can union an ' All' option to your dyanimc param list and in your select expert you use
{?param}=' All'
or
{?param} = {table.useridfield}
if youa re using other select criteria you need to parenth this or statement together.
|
IP Logged |
|
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Posted: 15 Feb 2012 at 12:30pm |
Hi,
1. we want our current Login id list as short as possible. But, now and then we would like to be able to run a report a purged login id history.
2. I have added a second prompt that is free form string that defaults to "none". Entering "ALL" gives me all login id's.
But, the powers that be want as few prompts as possible. Here is an example of why I would like to turn off a prompt:
If I want all login id's, or a report for a purged login id, I still have to select at least one dynamic login id. A blank prompt is an error and CR will not run until I put in at least one login id that is a valid login id but not a real user.
Or am I missing something?
Thanks
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 3:44am |
I have some of those powers that be over here too.
I believe that v 2008+ allows for empty parameters. If you are using an older version than that you are stuck with entering something into a param.
I am not seeing an elegant (limited clicking) solution but let me ponder it some more...
Would sorting your pick total list alpha active then alpha inactive be a viable solution? Your active list remains at the top for less scrolling (limits your user process) and it is clear when you pick users which type you are picking...
Edited by DBlank - 16 Feb 2012 at 3:44am
|
IP Logged |
|
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 6:55am |
We are using CR version 11.5.12.1838. I have been told this is not the 2008 version. I will pass this info up the ladder. Perhaps it will helpful in getting us updated. Unfortunately we were supplied with CR from a third party and the last we checked they were not 2008 compatible...
Thanks again
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:07am |
Would the sorting first by Active alpha then NonActive alpha meet he needs?
It still creates one parameter witha shorter list to sift through at the top for the active but allows for any user to still be found if needed.
Seems like it should make those powers that be happy...
|
IP Logged |
|
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 8:55am |
Well, we don't have an active/inactive flag, but we do have an email address. Our thought was that if we could sift out the login id's that don't have an email address that would shorten the list and provide the valid users.
How do I instruct the parameter to list only login id's that have an email address?
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 9:51am |
use a command (or a stored proc or a view if you can)
write a case statement to create your active/inactive user name list
case when table.email is not null then '(A) ' else '(I)' END + table.userid
use this new case statement feild as the source for the dynamic param.
|
IP Logged |
|
RichIcicle
Newbie
Joined: 06 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 33
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2012 at 11:08am |
|
Thanks, will see what I can do. I'll let you know.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|