Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Crystal Reports: Formatting empty crosstab cells Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
duskfire
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote duskfire Replybullet Topic: Crystal Reports: Formatting empty crosstab cells
     Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 4:55pm
Is it possible to format blank cells in a crosstab? I have a user who would like the empty cells in a crosstab (i.e. cells for which data does not exist) to have a background color so that cells with actual values stand out.

Putting conditional formatting on the field doesn't seem to work, I'm assuming because the field doesn't actually exist in a blank cell. Is there someplace else to do this that I'm missing?
Thanks,
Pramod
IP IP Logged
duskfire
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote duskfire Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 6:59am
Can anyone atleast tell me that this is not possible in Crystal Reports.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 7:25am
I was not seeing a simple viable solution
you can possibly do a work around
What is the summary type you are trying to color?
IP IP Logged
duskfire
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote duskfire Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 9:59am
Thanks for your reply, DBlank!
 
Summary type is numeric.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:23am

so is it a SUM or a COUNT?

Do you have legitimate zero values taht should not be highlighted that are differnt from the blank values that you do want highlighted?


Edited by DBlank - 05 Jan 2012 at 10:23am
IP IP Logged
duskfire
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote duskfire Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 10:59am
Its an Avg field.
 
Here is the detailed description of my issue. We have a field called score. This has values 0,1,2,3,4, and 5. When I use this field a summary field to calculate average, it takes into count even the zero based score, which my client does not want it. He also wants to see "N/A" whenever there is a zero. I figured out that the only way to satisfy all these conditions is to convert zero values into null. That way, zero based scores are not considered in the average calculations. But when I nullify a cell in crosstab, it completely ignores it. I can't even get a handle on this cell to change the background color.
 
I was hoping to find an alternative to this bizarre requirements of my client. Btw, he wants me to show gray background for zero score if I can't show "N/A".
 
So, to answer you question, no. There will be either zero or blank values and non-zero values.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:11am
Yuck.
My idea was to convert the NULL values to 0 wich would come into
the crosstab as a zero at which point you can conditionally format the background and the font color to both grey which makes it look like NULL with grey.
However this would interfere with your average.
Let me think about this a little more.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 11:24am
Is the crosstab a requirement or could you mimic the look of a CT?
What you want would be easy enough using running totals and group footers to display. 
IP IP Logged
duskfire
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 30 Sep 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote duskfire Replybullet Posted: 05 Jan 2012 at 12:54pm
Crosstab is not a requirement. I just started with that because its easy to configure.

I am very new to crystal reports so I don't know how easy is it to create manual crosstab reports. Btw, the report should handle any number of rows and columns.

Please let me know if there are other ways to achieve the same without sacrificing the dynamic nature.

Thanks a lot, DBlank!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum