Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Parameter Screen Delay / Dynamic Views Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rosshughes
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote rosshughes Replybullet Topic: Parameter Screen Delay / Dynamic Views
     Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 8:51am
Hi All,
 
I have a report bound to a stored procedure with six SP parameters.  When I hit refresh to see the parameter screen everything works as it should.
 
When I add a dynamic view to one of the parameters to load job departments, refreshing the parameter screen takes about two minutes before I can view the options.  This occurs when I add any single view as a dynamic parameter option.
 
The views runs fine on the server and responds in less than a second so it isn't a slow view.
 
Am I missing a critical setting here?  Any ideas?
 
Thanks for any help,
Ross
IP IP Logged
kostya1122
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
Quote kostya1122 Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 9:49am
you could create those parameters in crystal and see if it works faster.
IP IP Logged
rosshughes
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Dec 2009
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote rosshughes Replybullet Posted: 03 Jan 2012 at 3:52pm
Thanks.  I tried this.  It increased the speed a little but it is still very slow.  It doesn't make sense to me.  I have other reports that use SP's and respond well but the SP's (in these cases) have no parameters.  Does anyone here have a crystal report with multiple SP parameters using dynamic views...and think it responds quickly?
 
I have never used this specific arrangement before so I don't know what to expect. 
 
Thanks for your response,
Ross
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 04 Jan 2012 at 3:27am

what might be happening is that CR is running the stored proc and then deciding which values to display in the dynamic part as it seems that CR won't show options that won't return a report.

 
Not using a stored proc, but joining to a table, if you have a cascading parameter, CR won't cascade down to combination that returns 0 records or display an option that return 0 records.
 
I've used lots of stored procs for reporting (ok, all my reports are store proc based) and I have used cascading parameters, but I usually use a Command Object to drive the parameter selection and it has been quick.  My company has moved away from the Crystal Reports Parameters as it wasn't flexible enough, so it has been years since I used these features...
 
If I read your post correctly, you are selecting your parameter values from a view, I would have thought that would be fine, as it is akin to the Command Object.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum