ok, I think I see what you want.
I think that you will want to link on the name of the tank, as the date won't work...CR will see the dates as different.
what you can do, is group by the date. You can create a formula that you can group on, and it can be as simple as this:
totext({table.dateField}, "dd/MM/yyyy")
when you create the group, just select your formula as the source instead of a table.field combination.
you can use the formula to psuedo link.
As for missing days, that is harder as CR will only print what it sees. if you have a table of dates, you could outer join to that so that all dates would be represented...or maybe you could your dip dates..if there is recording for each day irrespective of purchase.
For data like this, ok...any report, I am a big proponent of store procs. They allow for data manipulation and customization of the data in ways that CR has a difficult time managing. Using this report as an example, you could transform the dip date time to a consistent datetime so that all the data would link up...for that matter you could create a line for each date, record the dip measurement and if a purchase was made, and it would all be in one line. If missing days occurred, you might be able to fill in the missing the date by joining to a table of dates or figuring out a way to 'create' the missing days.
HTH