| Author |
Message |
Sum1t
Newbie
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Topic: Lost trying to write a formula Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 9:57am |
|
Hello all,
This is my first post here so I do apologize in advance if this isn't exactly the right place to post a question.
I am stuck while trying to write a formula. It might be simple, but I'm completely blanking out.
Basically, in the raw data report, there are bunch of investments that have valuations with quarter end dates (6/30, 9/30, etc.) And I would like to get the difference between the two to see if a valuation of an investment increased or decreased. The raw report would look something like this:
Investment Name Date Valuation
Investment1_________6/30/2011_________$1000000
Investment1_________9/30/2011_________$2000000
Investment2_________6/30/2011_________$2400000
Investment2_________9/30/2011_________$3400000
Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
kostya1122
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
|

Posted: 21 Dec 2011 at 1:01pm |
|
DONT KNOW IF THIS WILL HELP GROUP ON INVESTMENT CREATE FORMULA LIKE MAXIMUM(Valuation,Valuation)-MINIMUM(Valuation,Valuation)
|
IP Logged |
|
Sum1t
Newbie
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:01am |
|
That works, but it takes the maximum value between the two records and does the subtractions, but I would like to set the valuation at 9/30 from which the 6/30 valuation is subtracted, if that makes sense?
|
IP Logged |
|
kostya1122
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
|

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 7:56am |
|
how about GROUP ON INVESTMENT 3 formulas first if Date = maximum( Date ,Investment) then Valuation second if Date = minimum( Date ,Investment) then Valuation third first - second
|
IP Logged |
|
Sum1t
Newbie
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 8:54am |
|
I think we're really close. With those three formula the end result is the negative valuation of 6/30 number. For example if the valuation at 6/30 is $1,000,000 then the output is -$1,000,000.
Which means the first formula seems to return 0.
Thanks so much again for trying. If this doesn't work out, I'll create a hidden field to bring in the previous quarter's valuation in the same record and go about it that way.
|
IP Logged |
|
Sum1t
Newbie
Joined: 21 Dec 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
|

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 8:59am |
|
GOT IT! I used the first half of the first formula you suggested in your first reply.
Formula 1
maximum (valuation, valuation name)
Formula 2
if (date) = minimum (valuation date, valuation name) then valuation
Formula 3
first - second
|
IP Logged |
|
kostya1122
Senior Member
Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
|

Posted: 22 Dec 2011 at 9:14am |
|
or something like this 3 formulas first if Date = date(9/30/2011) then sum(Valuation,Investment) second if Date = date(6/30/2011) then sum(Valuation,Investment) third first - second
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|