Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Using Cascading Dynamic Parameters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
mrr101001000
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote mrr101001000 Replybullet Topic: Using Cascading Dynamic Parameters
     Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:34pm
Hello.
I have been struggling with an issue using parameters in a report. I am very new to crystal reports and I am trying to create a report that can pull information from a database of part #s, operations and tools that are used during CNC operations.

What I am trying to create is a toolsheet.

I was able to get the program to do everything I needed, but I had to format my SQL database in an odd way to get things to work. My cascading dynamic parameter asks the user for a part number, a rev letter of that part, an operation number and the rev number of that operation. To get crystal reports to show everything correctly I had to have those 4 items in every single table that I am wanting to pull data from.

I know there has to be a way that this data can be pulled from tables without needed those 4 pieces of data in each table.


What I am wanting is to have a table with part info, a table with operation info (linked by a part ID to the part info), a toolsheet table (linked to the operation info by an operation id) and so on.

If I select Part "one" and rev "5" I am wanting crystal reports to see that part "one" and rev "5" are represented by part id "111" so that it can then refer to the operation table and get the info from the correct column that is linked by part id "111". I figure this is a better way to go about this than having part #, part rev, op # and op rev in every single table.

I hope someone out there understands what I am asking, please let me know if you need more info or if there is clear and easy way to have this done.

Otherwise I will be stuck putting those 4 items in every single table in my SQL database, which would work fine but I know it is not best practice and later down the line it could case someone a headache.

Thanks in advance!
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 3:33am
well, if you have a tool table, that has the fields partID and partInfo, they will have a toolID, right?
 
put the toolID in the other tables.  Dynamically cascade the toolPart information, but link this table to the others via the toolID. 
 
This makes sense for both CR and better normalization of your databases.
 
Hopefully I answered what you were asking for
IP IP Logged
mrr101001000
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote mrr101001000 Replybullet Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:19am
With your help and with a little bit of digging I found out that my problem was the way I was setting up my dynamic cascade. It is working now and I am moving along great, thanks for your help!
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum