Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Topic: Using Cascading Dynamic Parameters Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 12:34pm
Hello. I have been struggling with an issue using parameters in a report. I am very new to crystal reports and I am trying to create a report that can pull information from a database of part #s, operations and tools that are used during CNC operations.
What I am trying to create is a toolsheet.
I was able to get the program to do everything I needed, but I had to format my SQL database in an odd way to get things to work. My cascading dynamic parameter asks the user for a part number, a rev letter of that part, an operation number and the rev number of that operation. To get crystal reports to show everything correctly I had to have those 4 items in every single table that I am wanting to pull data from.
I know there has to be a way that this data can be pulled from tables without needed those 4 pieces of data in each table.
What I am wanting is to have a table with part info, a table with operation info (linked by a part ID to the part info), a toolsheet table (linked to the operation info by an operation id) and so on.
If I select Part "one" and rev "5" I am wanting crystal reports to see that part "one" and rev "5" are represented by part id "111" so that it can then refer to the operation table and get the info from the correct column that is linked by part id "111". I figure this is a better way to go about this than having part #, part rev, op # and op rev in every single table.
I hope someone out there understands what I am asking, please let me know if you need more info or if there is clear and easy way to have this done.
Otherwise I will be stuck putting those 4 items in every single table in my SQL database, which would work fine but I know it is not best practice and later down the line it could case someone a headache.
Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Posted: 09 Dec 2011 at 5:19am
With your help and with a little bit of digging I found out that my problem was the way I was setting up my dynamic cascade. It is working now and I am moving along great, thanks for your help!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot create polls in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum