Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Parameter with wild card Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
Kerkuk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Kerkuk Replybullet Topic: Parameter with wild card
     Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:24am
I have to create parameter with wild card % , The parameter should be Full name(first and last Name) without Middle initial , and I have table called People with two Fields called First name and last name and some of first names with middle initial?Please anyone can help me ?
 
Example
 
John I. Doe
 
I just want the user enter (John Doe)
 
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 4:57am
possibly you can create one string parameter (called ?Name in the example here)
and in your select statement use
({table.firstname) + " " + {table.lastname}) LIKE replace((replace({?name},".",""))," ","*")
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:22am
just building on DBlank's solution
 
I would think that you would replace the % with * as CR uses the * for the wildcard (more Access than SQL Server)...(again, thanks to DBlank for that tip as well)
 
if the user is just entering john doe, without the wildcard you could something like:
 
local numbervar space := instr({?Name, " "};
{table.firstname) + " " + {table.lastname}) LIKE LEFT{?Name, space - 1} + "*" + MID({?Name}, space + 1)
 
just a thought
IP IP Logged
Kerkuk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Kerkuk Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 7:43am
Thank you DBlank ,  I have one more problem The last name field contains company name and crew member's names for same person.I suppose get two or three set of names , but I am getting just first and last name of person.Please any idea to solve this problem?Thanks in advance

IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:04am
can't quite 'see' the set up you are describing...
can you please show sample (fake) data from the last name rows and how the user inputs this 'name' into the param?


Edited by DBlank - 08 Dec 2011 at 8:07am
IP IP Logged
Kerkuk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Kerkuk Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:44am
LastName (Field)
-------------
James I. Brown
Jim Pusak
Lone Star Company
G/S Advanture Inc.
 
-----------------------------
 
Name:Brown James I.
DOB:   05/17/1985    SSN: 123456789
Name:Lone Star Company
DOB:   Blank              SSN: UNKNOWN
Name:Pusak Jim
DOB:9/15/1974          SSN:654893524
 
 
Thanks again
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:50am

so the user types in "Lone Star Company",...it returns only one record and some records a remissing, correct?

it currently returns what?
and you need it to return what?
 
IP IP Logged
Kerkuk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Kerkuk Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:55am
When the user types in James I. Brown it returns only one record
just James I.Brown and Lone Star Company missing same as Jim Pusak
 
 
 
 
IP IP Logged
Kerkuk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Dec 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 22
Quote Kerkuk Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 8:56am
I need to return anything brlong to James I.Brown like his company name and his crew names
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 08 Dec 2011 at 9:10am
this would seem to point to my favorite solution...
 
a stored proc, unless there is a table of crew people. Is it linked to the company or to James? 
 
my standard response of stored procedure is that they are much more flexible than CR (or any reporting system) when it joins to the tables.
 
Let's see what DBlank comes up with...I'm sure that he guessed my solution.
 
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum