Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Subreport Naming Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
blackfish
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote blackfish Replybullet Topic: Subreport Naming
     Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 7:06am
New to the forum, I hope you can help me.

Crystal 8.5, when a subreport is added to a report by copying an existing file, where is the subreport name coming from?  I thought it would be the file name but that doesn't seem to be true.  Is is possible to rename a subreport?  It seems the only way I can get the subreport name that I want is by creating a new subreport.  Not exactly what I want to do since my multiple subreports are very similar and it is much easier to copy existing subreports.

Thanks

Steve
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 7:20am
not usre about 8.5 but later versions you can
right click on the subreport
format subreport
select subreport tab
enter whatever name you want there
IP IP Logged
blackfish
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote blackfish Replybullet Posted: 08 Nov 2011 at 7:46am
No real place to rename the subreport in Format Editor | Subreport in 8.5.

The best I could find was the Format Formula Editor : Subreport_Tab_Text  for "Subreport preview tab caption".  But adding text into the editor didn't seem to change anything.
IP IP Logged
blackfish
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote blackfish Replybullet Posted: 12 Nov 2011 at 4:22am
Bump. In the hopes that someone might be able to help.
IP IP Logged
CircleD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 251
Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 15 Nov 2011 at 12:46am
Open the sub report and then hit "File" and "Save As" and you should be able to rename it.

One note: any time I go to make changes in a report I save it in a separate folder first just in case I break it.
IP IP Logged
blackfish
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote blackfish Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 4:17am
CircleD, that did it.  Thanks very much.

Steve
IP IP Logged
blackfish
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 08 Nov 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 17
Quote blackfish Replybullet Posted: 16 Nov 2011 at 6:13am
On second thought, SaveAs didn't work.  Even if you rename a report and import it as a SubReport, the name of the SubReport in the report's design view doesn't change.

Still looking for an answer.
IP IP Logged
CircleD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 251
Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 18 Nov 2011 at 3:47pm
Then you might try copying the sub report, placing the copy in a separate folder, then remove the sub report from the report and using the Insert Sub Report command place the renamed sub report in the original and see if that doesn't do the trick.You might go the extra step and save the report without the sub just as a make sure it's gone option much like you should do if your reinstalling a program to minimize problems.

If you're doing a drastic change like this I always copy the report in case it blows up so I have a fall back.You should be able to place the copy in the same folder as the renamed sub.

Also is the sub in the Details section and is the name you're referencing in the header?If so you should be able to change the text box by editing the text.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum