| Author |
Message |
swilleyk
Newbie
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
|

Topic: information not showing Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:28am |
|
I have two tables linked. My left table is my main table. I have link from Left to right with left outer not enforced.
when I move the fields from my left table into my report they show their id number that corresponds with the name in the right table. But when I use this formula if (isnull({datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid})) then "No School Listed" else if {AccountBase.AccountId} = {datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid} then {AccountBase.Name}
The school name is not showing. I do get the "No School Listed" if the field is null, so that part is working. Not sure where I am going wrong on this one. It is another one of those "head banging on the desk" moments, and I am starting to get a mark. Thanks for any help Kevin
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 5:48am |
i am going to guess that you are joining the tables on accountbase.accountid = datatel.parent1collegeid
in this case just use:
if (isnull({datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid})) then "No School Listed" else {AccountBase.Name}
|
IP Logged |
|
swilleyk
Newbie
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:00am |
|
Still not getting the school name to display - just gives a blank space. i know that there should be a name there because I am also listing just the school id to make sure that something should be there. I thought is was a linking issue, but every time I try to change it I end up losing some of the kids that are associated with the account.
Thanks Kevin
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:03am |
if kids are disappearing when you add a field or formula then you have a join issue.
When you add the fields to the report it 'enforces' the join which can change your dataset.
Is that accurate to what you are experiencing?
|
IP Logged |
|
swilleyk
Newbie
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:15am |
|
It was, but I changed my joins from left outer to right outer and that cleared up the issue. If I move the field into the report I see the field number from the main table, but when I put a formula into the field to display the name, then I do not see the name like I should. I have checked to ensure that there is a matching field number in each table.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:17am |
what is the actual db 'name' field you want to display?
and if you place it on the report canvas does it display 'correctly' for every row other than the NULL values?
|
IP Logged |
|
swilleyk
Newbie
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:24am |
|
{datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid} is the field name from my main table. The name for the school comes from my Account Base table and is {AccountBase.Name}
If I just place the name in the field it does show, the problem is that I have two fields parent1 and parent2.
Thanks
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:32am |
please explain the problem when you have both parent1 and 2.
are you supposed to display 2 if 1 is null? do you have to rejoin if 1 is null?
do you only display "No School Listed" if both are null?
|
IP Logged |
|
swilleyk
Newbie
Joined: 25 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 18
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:39am |
|
for each student we list each parents information. If there is no info, then nothing is displayed. Each parent is listed separately in the main table and each as a college id number.
What I want to be able to do is display each parents school information. If one is null, then display the "No School Listed" If both are null, same message for each. I tried creating a formula for both, but kept finding that the school name would not display properly.
If I place the {datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid} and {datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent2collegeid} fields into the report without a formula, then I get the id number for both. It is when I try to display the corresponding name for the id number, then I don't see anything.
Thank you so much for all your help by the way. Kevin
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 03 Nov 2011 at 6:51am |
you have to use the {AccountBase} table twice in the report.once linked to datatel_parent1collegeid and once linked to datatel_parent2collegeid.
both have to be outer joins
When you add the AccountBase a second time it will alias the table name by placing a _1 after it (AccountBase_1).
For your display purposes you would need 2 formulas, one per parent.
//parent1 (which is linked to AccountBase)
if isnull({datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent1collegeid})
then 'No School Listed' else {AccountBase.Name}
//parent2 (which is linked to AccountBase_1)
if isnull({datatel_undergraduateapplicationforadmissionExtensionBase.datatel_parent2collegeid})
then 'No School Listed' else {AccountBase_1.Name}
Edited by DBlank - 03 Nov 2011 at 6:51am
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|