| Author |
Message |
Karjoe
Newbie
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Topic: If Statement issue Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:12am |
Hi,
I have used Access for a long time and I am learning crystal now. I am tryingto use an if statement to change a record in text box from Y to OK else null.
IF {Tbl_Objects_Fields.Primary?} like "Y" then {Tbl_Objects_Fields.Primary?} ="OK" else {Tbl_Objects_Fields.Primary?} = " "
the above does not work.
Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong?
Thanks in advance
|
|
Ismail
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:21am |
Do not try to alter the actual data. Crystal does not insert updates into a row like a sql (or access) update script. just have the "then-else" return the value you want (if you leave of the else it will use the default value for that data type like an empty string)
IF {Tbl_Objects_Fields.Primary?} like "Y" then "OK"
|
IP Logged |
|
Karjoe
Newbie
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 8:52am |
Thanks for the quick response.
I am getting this message
A string is required here
|
|
Ismail
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:12am |
1. what is getting hghlighted when you get the error?
2. {Tbl_Objects_Fields.Primary?} is a text field, correct?
|
IP Logged |
|
Karjoe
Newbie
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:18am |
Nothing gets highlighted.
Maybe I am not inserting the formula in the right place. If you don't mind telling me if I am doing it correct
I right click on the text box (Primary?)
Select expert record
I change the drop down to Formula
I put the formula in the box next to the drop down
Click ok
|
|
Ismail
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:31am |
ahh,
you are in the wrong place.
the select expert is used to include or excldue a row of data based on a boolean evaluation.
In the field explorer,
right click on the 'Formula Fields',
select New,
enter a name,
add your formula here
drag and drop the new formula field onto your canvas to view the results
|
IP Logged |
|
Karjoe
Newbie
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:51am |
Sorry I wasted too much of your time.
I did all the above and I get this message
'A statement is expected here'
and the OK is highlighted.
|
|
Ismail
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 9:56am |
there is a pick list option in the formula editor.
You curretnly have it set to "Basic syntax"
Change it to "Crystal Syntax" Edited by DBlank - 20 Oct 2011 at 9:56am
|
IP Logged |
|
Karjoe
Newbie
Joined: 20 Oct 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
|

Posted: 20 Oct 2011 at 10:03am |
Worked now. thank so much for you help.
|
|
Ismail
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|