Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: SQL Where Problem Post Reply Post New Topic
Page  of 2 Next >>
Author Message
neilsja
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote neilsja Replybullet Topic: SQL Where Problem
     Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:26am
Hi All
 
Another quick query that is frustrating me.
 
I have a table with the following fields:
 
NAME
TAG ORDER
 
I have 'NAME' on my report which is fine.  However, I only want to see 'NAMES' that have a 'TAG ORDER' of 2.  I cannot see how to specify this?
 
Look forward to your help.
 
James.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 4:59am
assuming this is a 1:1 ratio,
in the select expert use
 
table.tag_order=2
IP IP Logged
neilsja
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote neilsja Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:14am
Thank you for your reply.
 
That's what I thought also, yet when I add that comment, it still returns the records I have with TAG_ORDER 2 & 4.  However if I copy/paste the SQL that Crystal generates; it returns exactly what it should.  Very confused!
 
One thing I have noticed is that on the SQL it says:
 
"IM_INVGRP"."IVG_GRP2"="GL_GRPCODES2"."GRP_CODE"
 WHERE  "GL_GRPCODES2"."GRPTAG_ORDER"=2
 
But on the Select Expert it says 2.00.  Dont know if this may point to something?
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 06 Oct 2011 at 5:18am
ahhh. you have 2 tables.
Try this.
Go into the Databse Expert
Select Links tab
Double CLick on the link (line)
IN the 'Enforced Join' use "enforced both'
IP IP Logged
neilsja
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote neilsja Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:31am
I thought you may have been on to something then, but alas; still the same result! Confused
 
I still get two results returned:
 
HOSPITAL 1 which is GRPTAG_ORDER 2 and
hospital 1 which is GRPTAG_ORDER 4
 
I set the 'select expert' to look at GRPTAG_ORDER 2 and also set the 'enforced both' to the link but no joy.  It is very bizarre, as the SQL actually returns the correct result ConfusedConfusedConfused
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 6:24am
Can you post some sample data after the tables are joined and explain how you want it to look.
Your last post confused me.
IP IP Logged
neilsja
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote neilsja Replybullet Posted: 09 Oct 2011 at 10:37pm
Hi There
 
In its simplest for, my table looks like this:
 
Name              GRPTAG_ORDER
-----------------------------------------
HOSPITAL 1     2
hospital 1        4
 
So when I run the report (no matter what I put in the select expert), I am always getting:
 
Report Page 1:
Name = HOSPITAL 1
 
Report Page 2:
Name = hospital 1
 
All I want is for my report to show 'hospital 1' (which is GRPTAG_ORDER 2).
 
If I run the generated SQL into my sql analyzer, then I get the correct result.  It is just Crystal not returning the correct output.

Thank you for all of your help to date.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 4:49am
this still leads me to think it has something to do with joins.
are there only 2 tables in the whole report?
are you using at least one field from both tables in the report? if not try adding a field from the missing table onto the canvas?
if that does nothing,
can you expalin each table and the field(s) you are joinng on
IP IP Logged
neilsja
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 03 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 12
Quote neilsja Replybullet Posted: 12 Oct 2011 at 10:04pm
Hi There
 
Unfortunately there are multiple tables involved, but I thought simplifying the process would point me in the right direction.
 
I am going in for surgery tomorrow, so will get back to you in a few weeks.  However I have some further ideas on this problem also.  Thank you for all of your help already...
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 13 Oct 2011 at 4:09am
given multiple tables the join issue is the most likely.
In SQL making a join automatically "enforces" it and limits your data set based on what type of you you do. In Crystal, you have to enforce any/all joins. This happens automatically when you use any field from both tables in the join or if you use the database expert as I suggested earlier.
WAn easy way to test this is to put a total record count on your report and drag and drop any field from each table onto the canvas. If you see your total record number change at any time you know you just 'enforced' a join that hanged your record selection output.
If you don't know this is happening or why it can be quite confusing to wathc your data disppear from your report just because you stuck a new field on the canvas.
Good luck with the surgery.
IP IP Logged
Page  of 2 Next >>
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum