Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Using charts Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
AndyLeates
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote AndyLeates Replybullet Topic: Using charts
     Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 12:45am
I have a simple report that shows how many Incidents and Service Requests have been logged each week on our Service Desk.
 
The Report Selection selects Incidents and Requests.
 
I would like to display two charts, one showing the Inicdent count and one the Service Request count, but I can only manage one chart showing both. I'm sort of looking for a record selection feature within the chart.
 
Can this be done?
 
Thanks
 
Andy
IP IP Logged
Robotacha
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Quote Robotacha Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 1:33am

what group levels do you have?

I just created a report, and created 2 formulas. 1 for incidents & 1 for Service.
 
I summarized both formulas which gave me the 2 totals.
 
I then simply, INSERT CHART (into group footer)
 
on the DATA TAB within the chart options, select ON ALL RECORDS instead of ON CHANGE OF, then in the SHOW VALUE area, add the summary of the INCIDENT formula.
 
this then gives a chart just for the total incidents.
 
Then do the exact same again, but have the SHOW VALUE as the summary of SERVICE REQUESTS.
 
 
this gives 2 charts for the 2 different values.



Edited by Robotacha - 05 Oct 2011 at 1:34am
Regards,

Michael Jones
IP IP Logged
AndyLeates
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote AndyLeates Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 4:04am
Thanks
 
Sounds like I am missing something fundamental with how to use Groups! I'll have a try at what you suggest.
 
Could you show me your example of a formula for Incidents or request?
 
Thanks
 
Andy
IP IP Logged
Robotacha
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Quote Robotacha Replybullet Posted: 05 Oct 2011 at 6:09am
Hi,
 
depends on how your data is set.

Again, its very difficult to help as we dont understand how your database / tables work.
 
a simple way would be to create a group for a date range first.
 
My tables have fields called TRANS.PERIOD or TRANS.INVDATE
 
and lets say I also have a field called TRANS.REQUESTS
 
PERIOD is the same as month.
REQUESTS are either Incidents or Service.
 
so, I would:
 
insert a TRANS.PERIOD group
 
in the select expert, add: TRANS.PERIOD is equal to 9  (September)

then I would write 2 formulas like:
 
@INCIDENTS -
 
{TRANS.REQUESTS} = "Incident"
 
@SERVICE -
{TRANS.REQUESTS} = "Service"
 
 
I would then drag these 2 newly created formulas into the details section on the report.
 
then, Right click 1 off the forumla's, and select INSERT SUMMARY, select SUM, and summarize it by the PERIOD GROUP.
 
do the same for the other formula, and you will then have 2 total fields showing the total amount of INCIDENTS & SERVICES for the month of September (Period 9)
 
you can then use these summarized fields as described in my first post, to do your charts.
 
 
Obviously you will need to select / group by whatever field your tables use to determine a period of time.
 
if its say: INVOICEDATE or somthing similar, you simply group by that field and  put the start and end date in your select expert.
 
 
Hope this helps.
 
If you need anything else, just shout. I enjoy helping where I can :)
 
 
Regards,

Michael Jones
IP IP Logged
AndyLeates
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote AndyLeates Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:11am
Thanks, this helps a lot, has certainly pointed me in the right direction.
 
Where I am coming unstuck is during the Insert Summary, there is no SUM option, only Count, Distinct Count, Min, Max, Modex, Largest, etc.
 
I tried to use Count instead, but that just returns the same values for both Incident and Request, I assume just counting all the True and False's as the same.
 
Any more pointers??!
 
Andy
IP IP Logged
AndyLeates
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 05 Oct 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote AndyLeates Replybullet Posted: 07 Oct 2011 at 5:34am
Bit more Googling, changed formula's so
 
If {vTASKS_BROWSE.TYPE} = "Incident"
Then 1
Else 0
 
Then adding running totals to the group
 
Getting the right figures now! On to the charts.....
IP IP Logged
Robotacha
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Quote Robotacha Replybullet Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 1:20am
Yes, you are correct. I should have thought of that myself. the formula is returning a true or false, so logically, you wont be able to sum the totals.
 
Glad you are on the right track though :)
Regards,

Michael Jones
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum