Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Fill report with x characters Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Gazzo100uk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Gazzo100uk Replybullet Topic: Fill report with x characters
     Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 1:25am

Hi All,

Every once in a while I get asked to create a crystal report and as I've only ever created a handful in my lifetime sometimes simple problems stump me for a while but I can usually resolve them with the help of the various forums etc. however I am a bit stuck with the following problem:

I have a report with a subreport in the detail section, the subreport is only allowed to take up a certain height within the report, i.e. it can contain up to 4 records at which point it should force a new page in the main report.

This is fine so far but one of the requirements is to have a line of 'x's underneath the subreport filling the rest of the detail on that page to stop anybody from writing on it.

Basically this is an order form, only 4 order lines per page and the rest of the page down to the report footer filled with character x.
 
I have looked at getting the height of the sub report control or the record count etc. but it's got me stumped.
 
Anyone got any ideas?
 
Regards,
Gary
IP IP Logged
CircleD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 251
Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 19 Sep 2011 at 7:06pm
The mean and nasty way would be to add a text box full of X's after the area for the 4th line.You should be able to add a new section and place the sub report in the first section and give it enough space for the sub report to print then add the text box in the second section.If there are cases when there are less than 4 lines you can place the sub report in the section and use the "can grow" function.This should let the text box print after the sub report and, if more room is needed, push the box down to make room for it.
IP IP Logged
Gazzo100uk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Gazzo100uk Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 5:27am

Thanks for the reply,

I had already tried that (if I understand correctly) but this creates the X's after the sub report and if the sub report goes over 1 page then it just puts it on the last page.
 
I have also tried putting the X's in the page footer too but that gives me issues with printing in the correct place (I am printing on pre-printed paper).
 
I am starting to think that Crystal Reports can't do what I need it to do but am hoping that I just haven't discovered the solution yet :-)
IP IP Logged
CircleD
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 11 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 251
Quote CircleD Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 7:05pm
Crystal is hard to use with a preprinted form.The best way is to scan the form as an image making it the correct size and use the insert picture button.Place it in the details section and then move it to the back so anything you add can be seen.Then you can place everything where you need it to go and when you're done remove the image.This is pretty much the only way you can get a perfect match.
IP IP Logged
Gazzo100uk
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 19 Sep 2011
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote Gazzo100uk Replybullet Posted: 20 Sep 2011 at 10:30pm
Yep, I'm finding it pretty tricky, thanks for the top tip though, I hadn't thought of that - would have saved me many hours holding two pieces of paper up to the light Confused
 
Regards,
Gary
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum