Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Subreport the only way? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
JFinzel
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Quote JFinzel Replybullet Topic: Subreport the only way?
     Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 6:29am
I am trying to do the following:

Group 1: Constituents who are hosts
    Group 2: Constituents who are guests of particular hosts

But if I have record selection as Type = "host", this also holds true for every group, or could it be otherwise?

As far as I can tell, thus, the only way to get "Group 2" info is making a subreport that links the guests to their host.  Any suggestions?

Also, my main problem is that doing it this way is taking forever to load the report.   I am still waiting for it to process right now and it is on record 12,000,000... it has been 10 minutes.  There are a total of 700-something constituent records.  This is all I have so far for conditions:

Group 1: Type = "Host"
(displaying only Constituent.Name)

Subreport (placed in header with group 1): Guest of = Pm.Host Name and Event ID in ["A1","A2]
(displaying only Constituent.Name in details)

Thanks for any suggestions.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 26 Aug 2011 at 11:38am
Likely you can avoid the sub report but unless you explain your raw data I doubt anyone can tell you how.
IP IP Logged
JFinzel
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Quote JFinzel Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 6:34am
Let me give it a try.

This is basically the tree of data I am exporting from Raiser's Edge to MS Access:

Constituent Information
   Name
   ID
Spouse
   Name
   ID
Event Participations
   Guest of?
   Attended?
   Participation Type
    Event
       Event ID
Summary Information
   (here are several gift summary info fields)

If you look at the tree above, these are all exported to Access into tables.  Now, looking at my above question, I use the field "Participation Type" to single out the hosts.  The I want to use the same field to single out guests, putting them under each host (using the "Guest of" field to link up  a guest with host).

Does this help or do you need more info on the actual tables in Access?

Thank you.



Edited by JFinzel - 29 Aug 2011 at 6:35am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 7:31am
so you basically need to extract "Event Participations" twice and filter on version as "Host" and the second version as "Guest"
and link version 1 to version 2?
DOes that do it?
IP IP Logged
JFinzel
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Quote JFinzel Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 8:11am
I can't say I know what you mean, would you please explain?  All I know is I try to group by Type = "Host" and then this holds true for the entire report.

I might add that every category listed above falls under the broad heading of one specific constituent, listed at the top.  So each category below it is the info specific to one constituent, and there are 900-something of them.


Edited by JFinzel - 29 Aug 2011 at 8:13am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 10:33am

sample row level data (fake is fine) after you join your tables together would help but I think if you I unerstand the content...

if you group by Guest of (assuming the host has there own ID as a guest of themself)
place the constituent name in the header header
place the particpants in the details and hide details where particiaption type = Host
IP IP Logged
JFinzel
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 49
Quote JFinzel Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:42am
The host does have his own ID, but the host is not a guest of himself.  The "Guest of" field is actually blank for the host.

Sorry I am not very experienced, but I still don't know what you meant by joining what tables together differently than they are already linked.  The tables are already all linked together but I know they could be linked differently...

One thing, if it's not clear, is that these "participants" are not listed under the hosts.  They have to be manually linked up in the reporting program.  The hosts are exported as constituents just like the rest.

I can't give you rows of data because it is taking an aeon for the report to run, and so I don't really have any data rows.  I can tell you what I want:

Cn.Name (host)
     Cn.Name (guests of above host) ... giving info, etc.

Thanks for the help.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 29 Aug 2011 at 11:48am

I pretty much need to see some sample rows of data to try and help.

Maybe someone else does nopt need hat can can jump in ?
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum