Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Drop Down List Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
jkeller
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote jkeller Replybullet Topic: Drop Down List
     Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:46am
Hi
 
I have several drop down lists that on the report show the their numeric sequence.  I would like to reference to the seperate table and show the actual name.
 
I Have
Selections Table. TS_ID, TS_Name - this is where the datat is stored
 
DB table.TS_Status_Id, Priority, severity,baseline, duel_baseline, type
This is the table that the numeric values are .
 
In the crystal reports I linked all the fields to the TS_ID in the selections table.
 
I am stuck how do I show the corresponding NAME on my report. 
 
Appreciate the help have been messing with this for a day or two.
 
thank you .
Your help and Support greatly Appreciated. Thank you
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 09 Aug 2011 at 8:51am
do you mean how do you show a lov of the names in a run time paramater?
create a new paramater
name it whatever
make it a string type (to match the selections_table.ts_names field type)
make it a dynamic lov
add the value as selections_table.ts_names
in your select expert you can make it use this to limit data as
{?whatever} = {selections_table.ts_names}
 
 


Edited by DBlank - 09 Aug 2011 at 8:52am
IP IP Logged
jkeller
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote jkeller Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 2:14am

I have 6 fields that are drop downs and in the table they are stored as numeric .  In the other table is where the text name is stored.

 
I want to join these tables so that when I pull each field and place on the report that it will show the name and not the numeric value.
 
If I create a parameter it will not join the tables and can only do it for 1 field.  I hope I explained that better.
 
thank you for your support
Your help and Support greatly Appreciated. Thank you
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 3:52am

I think i understand. Your description of drop down is how the user inputs data into the table and has nothing to do with the report parameters that you want to use for runtime data selection. However, in your table you have six columns (on each row) that all join to one table that is a master table of all of your drop down value text.

You can add the selections table to ther report 6 times. IT will alias each time as Selections_Table_1, Selections_Table_2, Selections_Table_3, etc.
Now you can join each coumn value to one of these tables. If any of the columns from DB table can have a row that is empty / NULL then you will need to do outer joins from DB to Selections to avoid omitting rows from your end result.
For each text description you will have to place the TS_Name field from each version of the Selection Table.
so you will have to use
Selections_Table.TS_Name
Selections_Table_1.TS_Name
Selections_Table_2.TS_Name
Selections_Table_3.TS_Name
Selections_Table_4.TS_Name
Selections_Table_5.TS_Name
as being used in the report


Edited by DBlank - 10 Aug 2011 at 3:53am
IP IP Logged
jkeller
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 09 Aug 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote jkeller Replybullet Posted: 10 Aug 2011 at 7:31am
thank you that worked.  i started to do something similar but I grab the DB table and alaised it as well as the Selections. but just doing the Selections table worked perfect. 
 
thank you very much your assistance is greatly appreciated.
Your help and Support greatly Appreciated. Thank you
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum