Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Deployment Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
lkalka
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote lkalka Replybullet Topic: Deployment
     Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 6:47am
Newbie alert! Wrong forum but couldn't find a suitable one. Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction (please).

It's a general question about deployment.

We have a number of letters and reports written in Crystal 8 that current sit on all the local PC's that need to run them. The application is also Client based and creates an XML file before calling Crystal to merge to that XML resulting in a Crystal Report NB all this is Client side.

We're discussing changing the application to be broswer based but a sticking point is the Reports/Letters, we have quite a few of them.

One of the options I thinking of is storing the reports on the server and doing the merge on the server side. We would then (probably) convert to a pdf and stream back the pdf to the browser, allowing the user to view the resulting letter/report as a pdf.

This way we could use the existing Cystal Reports as is without changing them (that's the idea anyway).

So the questions: -
Does anyone else merge the CR in a similar way?
What are the license implications?
Would I need CR server to 'merge' server side in this way (or is that something different)?

As mentioned, I know this won't be the correct section but I'm lost where to post it!

Thanks for any help.



Edited by lkalka - 04 Aug 2011 at 6:48am
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 9:04am
You don't need Crystal Server to do this.  You can deliver reports as is through the web.  If your website is written in ASP.NET, there is a Crystal Viewer component that comes with Visual Studio that you can use to show your reports (yes, it will work with v8 reports so you don't need to upgrade all of them!)  If your website is written in Java, there is a Crystal Veiwer component that is available online.
 
I'm not sure what the licensing implications are for this, but I know it's possible because we did this when I was at a former employer.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
lkalka
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote lkalka Replybullet Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 11:57am
Thanks for the reply.

I thought others would have done it, if anyone does know what the license implications would be that would be good to know.

In terms of the viewer, I'll look into that although as mentioned for what we want to do potentially we could convert to a pdf and stream that to the browser.

Any more comments welcome (or pointers where items like this are better discussed).
IP IP Logged
lkalka
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 04 Aug 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote lkalka Replybullet Posted: 07 Aug 2011 at 10:37pm
I'm slipping from the front page!

I'll try 1 bump and then try posting in a different area.

TIA
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum