Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Create alert based on an expiration date Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
stanley721
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote stanley721 Replybullet Topic: Create alert based on an expiration date
     Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 2:09am
I want to create an alert based on an expiration date and e-mail the warnings. So far I have the condition as
Datediff ("d",{@display},Currentdate)< 20
But when I run it, the alert is not correct. The "@display" is the calculation of my expiration date that is in my database. I want the alert to come up 20 days out. The other idea I had was to use the data when the password was last changed known as "Expr1000". I've tried
Datediff ("d",{Command.Expr1000},Currentdate)> 160
That didn't seem to work either. Anyone have any ideas?
Also, I would love for the report to run automatically and send out e-mail warnings.


Edited by stanley721 - 12 Jul 2011 at 2:21am
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 3:46am
you need some sort of emailing software. If you do not have any yet you can look on ken hammadys site for some reviews and ideas
how you build the report would partially depend on your delivery method.
Note that Alerts are not the same as they are run time message to the user running the report.
 
I use Visual Cut to schedule and email/burst reports and like it quite a bit. Ido is great.
Once you choose your delivery method it will define how you build the report to deliver your content.
HTH
For Vusiaul Cut I would group on the
IP IP Logged
stanley721
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote stanley721 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 5:14am
Let's just skip the automatic email for now. How about the report runs on its own and creates an alert for me? Or I run the report weekly and the alert appears when I run it. I can be happy with that. I just want to get the alert when an expiration date is within the 20 days.
IP IP Logged
stanley721
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote stanley721 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:10am
The answer is:
Datediff ("d",{Command.Expr1000},Currentdate)>160
that seems to work. I had a space between the > and the 160.
Now if I could just get it to run the report and then email the offenders,(without buying more software), that would be great.Smile
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:45am
odd, as the space should not have any impact on the formula.
I am still unclear as to why you are using an alert. An alert cannot be emailed and is only a run time message to one user at runtime about the content of the report.
An "exception" type report that pulls in th data you are referring to  (e.g. and expiration adte), grouped ont he user (notifee) can generate the content that can actually be emailed.
You can email the report manually. If you want it automated Crystal does not have email capability in it unless you start to move to the server types which is more money and more software.
There may be a free software reviewed on Hammady's site but I am almost positive none would burst a report to multiple dynamic recipients.
 
I had the same need as you are describing (to be able to email dynamic content to employees based on similar kinds of exceptions reports) and I recommended the solution that I found. I do not work for nor get any money from any sites including this one.
IP IP Logged
stanley721
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Jul 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 8
Quote stanley721 Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 7:54am
I track a electronic log system at work and the password expiration does not work on it. I run Crystal to give me a report of people's password expiration date. After I run it, I contact them myself via email to let them know to change their password. I just want to run the report and it give me right away who is expiring. I would really love if it would run by itself and generate an email to those people that are brought up in the report as expiring. I'll just deal with what I got now.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 12 Jul 2011 at 8:04am
I yhink i see...
 you are using the view records in alert...
 
IMHO I see this an an extra step. I assume the sole purpose was to get that list so moving the alert criteria to the select statement generates the same list without the step of responding to the alert.
 
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum