Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Rendering XML in a Crystal Report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
kcardosa
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote kcardosa Replybullet Topic: Rendering XML in a Crystal Report
     Posted: 29 Jun 2011 at 4:39am

I am currently working on a CR2008 report that calls an Oracle PL/SQL stored procedure to generate the resulting report. In this case, the resulting report is a valid XML document. I'd like to be able to display/render the XML document in the report. Is this possible? I tried placing the results column (a Memo Field) on the report but when I run the report it just displays the raw XML. I've looked at the OLE object but couldn't find a way to have my returned XML document used as an input for the OLE object. Is this even possible with CR? Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

 

IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:17am
set the datasource of the report to the xml document.  You will need to design the report to use the ado.net connection type.  You will need the xsd file for the design as it tells CR if a field is text, int, boolean, etc.
 
Once the report has been designed using the xsd file, setting the datasource to the xml file will look just like you connected to database.
 
If you can get the xml file to contain the schema information as well, the xsd file is not needed.
 
Been designing reports this way for over 4 years, personnally, I like it way better than having to set up a connection to a database.  Let the app know about the database, the report just displays what is fed to it.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
kcardosa
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 29 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote kcardosa Replybullet Posted: 30 Jun 2011 at 3:26am
Thanks for the quick response.  I'll give it a try.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum