Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: View Group Running Total fields in Group Header? Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
epperj
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 10 Jan 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote epperj Replybullet Topic: View Group Running Total fields in Group Header?
     Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 9:37am
I've created a report that counts the number of times a specific value appears in a field in each group using a Running Total Count with a Evaluate Formula.  The problem is the only way to see the final count tally is by looking at the last row in each group, if I move the Running Total entry into to the Group Header in longer counts values within the Details.

For example, here simple sample of my data:

NAME - NUM - ABC
John - 001 - A
John - 002 - B
John - 003 - A
John - 004 - C
Jack - 001 - A
Jack - 002 - B
Jack - 003 - C
Jack - 004 - B

Currently I have my report Grouped by NAME, so when I hide the Details I only see one row for each NAME, the hidden Details lists the NUM and ABC fields:
John
Jack

I want to count how many times A, B, or C appears for either John or Jack. I created multiple Running Total Fields that evaluated ABC with a formula (ABC = "A") [or "B" or "C"] and now my group data looks like this:

NAME - NUM - ABC - #A - #B - #C
John - 001 - A - 1 - 0 - 0
John - 002 - B - 1 - 1 - 0
John - 003 - A - 2 - 1 - 0
John - 004 - C - 2 - 1 - 1

By looking at row 4 (the last row), I can see John has 2 A's, 1 B, and 1 C and Jack would have 1 A, 2 B's, 1 C.  But I have to show Details to see this.

 I want to export a report that shows the NAME and the #A, #B, and #C totals in the Group Header and hides the Details rows:

NAME- #A - #B - #C
John - 2 - 1 - 1
Jack - 1 - 2 - 1

But if I move the #A, #B, #C Running Total fields to the Group Header they no longer count the totals in the Details.

How can I move the final totals of my Running Totals from within the Details to the Group Header? Is there a better way to calculate the number of times a specific value within a field (A, B, or C) instead of Running Totals?

Thanks for your help, I think I am making this more complicated than it should be!

IP IP Logged
kostya1122
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
Quote kostya1122 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jun 2011 at 10:07am
i would try crosstab for simplicity, but for this case you could
try editing you formula like ABC=sum"#A" or sum"#B"...
i assume you grouped on Name so just put those formulas into group header
IP IP Logged
kostya1122
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 13 Jun 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 475
Quote kostya1122 Replybullet Posted: 31 Aug 2011 at 5:19am
wow that was clever, but i got to tell you this place is for people who seek help or trying to help others, not for f_king trolls like you.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum