Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Slow Report/Quick In SQL Server QA Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
QuikeyMan
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote QuikeyMan Replybullet Topic: Slow Report/Quick In SQL Server QA
     Posted: 20 May 2011 at 10:06am
To start off, this pertains to Crystal Reports for Best version 8.5, but I could not find a forum specific to this software.  I have a report that takes quite a long time for users to run, ~12.5 sec.  If I run the query manually in SQL Server Query Analyzer, SS Profiler shows that both queries use the same amount of CPU and make the same number of reads, but when run in SS QA, the query take ~0.6 sec. to complete.  If I pull up the report in CR and fill it with live data, SS Profiler shows that the query takes ~6.7 sec. to complete.  What slows the query down that much in Crystal Reports?  I am not very knowledgeable on the mechanics of CR, so any help would be appreciated.  


Edited by QuikeyMan - 20 May 2011 at 10:07am
IP IP Logged
Emir_W
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 228
Quote Emir_W Replybullet Posted: 21 May 2011 at 10:45pm
i just share my experience maybe it will help.

from CR point of view:
1. possible the link between each table in CR (this is if you using direct table)
2. using too much conditions and/or variable
3. using picture with big file size (need to reduce the filesize of the pict)

other than that I have no idea.
hope someone else can help.

Just share my experience.

Emir W
IP IP Logged
QuikeyMan
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote QuikeyMan Replybullet Posted: 23 May 2011 at 5:31am
I appreciate the response, and though I could see a couple of those thoughts slowing down the overall time to generate the report, I do not understand why it would slow down the date retrieval.  Does anyone have knowledge of that sort of thing?  Can CR slow down data retrieval?
IP IP Logged
QuikeyMan
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote QuikeyMan Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2011 at 10:02am
Another aspect of the report in question that I do not understand is why the query returns a result set as opposed to a specific row of data.  The report in question pulls information for an invoice, but instead of just querying for data that pertains to the invoice in question, and entire result set (~2,000 rows) is returned.  To me, this seems like unneeded overhead, but I do not know enough about the mechanics of CR to make that conclusion.
IP IP Logged
Emir_W
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 25 Apr 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 228
Quote Emir_W Replybullet Posted: 31 May 2011 at 8:03pm
CR is to display report based on:
- direct link between tables
  depends on how we link between each table (join, left join, right join, etc.)
- views
- stored procedures
and usually these can be done from DB.

what to display is based on conditions that we apply for the report.
it can be from:
- SQL (passing parameters), or
- CR it self
  --> parameters
  --> conditions
        a. on each sections (PgHd, Details, GrpHd, GrpFt, PgFt)
        b. on some variables
  --> pictures (size of the pics)

you can check the performance of the CR from (assume you using CR XI) by clicking on 'Report' - 'Performance Timing'.

from here you can see the 'Average to to format a page' and others.



hope it help.

Emir W
IP IP Logged
QuikeyMan
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 20 May 2011
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote QuikeyMan Replybullet Posted: 01 Jun 2011 at 2:40am
I understand what CR reports is for and how it works in a generic sense.  What I do not understand is why you would want to return a results set to a report, as opposed to a parametrized query returning a single row in this case.  To me, I would think a database engine would be more efficient then letting CR sort through a result set.  And no, I am not using CR XI, I am using Crystal Reports for Best v8.5.  Thanks for the reply nonetheless. 
IP IP Logged
Robotacha
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 11 Nov 2009
Location: United Kingdom
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 97
Quote Robotacha Replybullet Posted: 14 Jul 2011 at 1:24am
Was just browsing the forums and saw this post.
 
Just a quick tip on this:

If you go to PAGE SETUP, and checkmark the NO PRINTER option,

Your report will run slightly quicker. (as it doesnt need to optimize the data for printing)
 
I never believed it at first, but it does actually work.
Regards,

Michael Jones
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum