Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Query on Crystal Reports Server Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
manish_gupta111
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote manish_gupta111 Replybullet Topic: Query on Crystal Reports Server
     Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 9:43pm
Hi,
 
I am new to Crystal Reports.
 
I have created a couple of .rpt files using CR2008 and I am loading these report files in my aspx pages using CrystalReportViewer control.
I am planning to host my webApp on IIS in production environment. Maximum simultaneous/concurrent connections to my reports would be 1 or 2.
My question is:
1. Do I need Crystal Reports Server in this scenario?
2. In future if the number of concurrent users to report increases then do I need to go for Crystal Reports Server? Will just buying and installing the Crystal reports server on production server work? or will I have to do some configuration or some other changes in the existing deployed reports? OR Will I have to deploy my existing reports on Crystal Report Server again?
 
Any help will be highly appreciated.
 
Thanks in advance,
Manish
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2011 at 8:57am

You don't need CRS if your application is running the reports internally.  I've never had any problems will multiple people connecting to the same report without something like CRS.

If you do decide to get CRS, you'll have to deploy your reports to it and then modify your code to read your reports from there instead of from where they're currently located.
 
Since you're on IIS, I'm assuming that your application is written in .NET (although it could be classic ASP as well.)  One thing to remember is that the Crystal components used by IIS are based on COM components.  .NET does not memory manage these components well so you need to explicitly call Dispose() on the report in the FormUnload event handler in order to clean up the memory that is used.  If you don't, you'll run into issues after running several reports.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
manish_gupta111
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: India
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote manish_gupta111 Replybullet Posted: 02 May 2011 at 5:53pm
Thanks for the important information, Dell.
Yes, we are using Asp.Net 4.0.
I heard that without CRS, concurrent users to the report can maximum be 3. Further requests to reports get queued up and a message is logged in event viewwer for the same. I will try this and find it out.
 
Thanks again for the infomation. :)
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum