Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Supressing Section Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
millhouse123
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote millhouse123 Replybullet Topic: Supressing Section
     Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 11:27am
I am totally new at CR so please be gentle when explaining the basics.
 
I have a report that looks like:
 
Account Name
   Actual
   Budget
   Variance
 
I am trying to supress the sections that have no data in them - I tried using the supress blank section and also in the suppress (no Drill down)
I have tried formulas isnull({CSPRpt.DataCol13}) and {CSPRpt.DataCol13} = ""   ( i get an error on the ="")  Either way I have no idea what else to try.   
 
It's probably an easy fix so please be patient.
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 28 Apr 2011 at 12:36pm
What type of field is {CSPRpt.DataCol13}?  If it's a numeric, you can't compare it to an empty string because it's not a string.  In that case, just using the IsNull part of your formula should work.
 
Also, "Suppress blank section"  looks for truly blank sections - if there's a text label in the section it isn't considered to be blank.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
millhouse123
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote millhouse123 Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 2:55am
Dell
 
Thank you for your response.    The data in the field is indeed numeric -  Either way I my data lables keep showing up even if there is no data in the referenced field.     Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated because I have no idea what else to try.
 
Thanks
N
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:39am
Your labels are what is keeping "Suppress Blank section" from working.
 
So, in the Supression formula try using just this:
 
 isnull({CSPRpt.DataCol13})
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
millhouse123
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote millhouse123 Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:44am
Thats what I had tried before and it seems to not be working.  I have  even tried using a different filed to check if it is NULL and that didn't work either.
 
Thanks again for your assitance as I have no where else to go.
 
N
 
 
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 4:55am
Without knowing more about your data, it's hard to make suggestions.
 
What determines whether your Actual, Budget, and Variance sections have data in them?
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
millhouse123
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 28 Apr 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Quote millhouse123 Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 5:05am
I don't even know how to answer this - remember this is my first exposure to crystal.    CR came  as part of a finance reporting software that our company purchased.   The software has an interface that you use to layout the data ("View") and then you map the View to the CR template that is created.   In this interface it shows no data in these fields.    I am more than happy to send or screen shot anything you need to better understand what I am doing.
 The whole system is driven by an oracle database and populated by our accounting system.  So if there was no revenue or expense then the field would not be populated.
 
Thanks
N
 
IP IP Logged
hilfy
Admin Group
Admin Group
Avatar

Joined: 20 Nov 2006
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3702
Quote hilfy Replybullet Posted: 29 Apr 2011 at 6:57am
My question has little to do with Crystal itself and everything to do with your data.
 
You may need to contact the provider of the financial software to get assistance with this.
 
-Dell
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum