Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Help with Maximum (I think) Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
ultraca
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote ultraca Replybullet Topic: Help with Maximum (I think)
     Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 9:12am
I'm working with a database from CA ServiceDesk and want to pull up a fairly simple report.  The only problem is that I've only been using Crystal reports  for about 2 weeks now.

My report contains 6 fields from 1 table and 1 from another table (linked with database expert).  My report is basically all users with their security and permission settings and finally their login time.  Because all users have logged in more than once they are repeated many times over.

With the Summary expert I've been able to display the most recent login time, using the Maximum to 'Calculate this summary' in the footer of each Group (user group). However I dont want it in the footer because my reports arent clean. Additionally, because users are repeated I grouped them for better readability.

I am now trying to eliminate duplicate users by only showing most recent login time.  I figured I need to use the Maximum value in the formula editor when trying to filter but I keep getting an error.  I found this thread http://www.crystalreportsbook.com/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=11469&KW=maximum and tried it based on my fields but I still get an error.

This is also where my skills lack, writing the necessary query.

I can easily get rid of the groups but main thing is to only display the most recent login time.

Here is an example of what my report currently looks like:


Can someone point me in the right direction?

IP IP Logged
FrnhtGLI
Senior Member
Senior Member
Avatar

Joined: 22 May 2009
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 347
Quote FrnhtGLI Replybullet Posted: 31 Mar 2011 at 10:42am

You could just suppress the detail lines and put all the fields in the the group footer. The footer seems to be showing the most recent login time (which is what you want) and the detail sections are showing you what you don't want.

 
HTH
|< /\ '][' ( )
IP IP Logged
ultraca
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 31 Mar 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 23
Quote ultraca Replybullet Posted: 04 Apr 2011 at 2:39am
This is clearly a matter of being new to CR as I was able to supress, but it took me some time to figure out your suggestion.

So here is what I did and I'm curious to know if this is the best way or not?

Insert Summary > Choose field to summarize (field name) > Calculate this summary (Mode) [for text fields] > Summary Location (Group #1) [i choose this to keep it on the same line]

I feel like there should be a better way...


Edited by ultraca - 04 Apr 2011 at 2:40am
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum