Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: insert a parameter on a formula Post Reply Post New Topic
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Author Message
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 3:29am
The crystal report is expecting a certain schema, and that schema cannot change from customer to customer, or as you found the report will not work.
 
I'm ok with one customer having 12 periods and another 50, but why would name the columns that way, since as you found out, the schemas don't match, so the report cannot be generalized, and it is a poor table design.
 
If the data is as described, and you have varying number of periods, you will need separate reports for each customer, or every customer will have to have the same number of periods, which has to be predefined, because the report has to match the schema.
 
Depending where you are in the development, and how much coding has been created, I would suggest changing the structure of the dataTable to be more 'normalized' which would have fewer columns, but more rows and could hand any number of periods from 1 to 1000 (not that you would have many accounting periods, but you get the idea)
 
This isn't so much a matter of experience in Crystal, as database design, which doesn't allow for flexibilty and as you have found, doesn't allow for Crystal to be written as 1 report for many users.
IP IP Logged
mariagus
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 27 Mar 2011
Location: Spain
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 5
Quote mariagus Replybullet Posted: 30 Mar 2011 at 3:37am
Thank you so much for your explanation and your advice.

My main goal when I created this post was to be sure that what I wanted to do was not possible. I did some research, and I didn't find anything about how to do it ... but I needed to be sure that it was impossible.

Now I feel a bit more confortable working with Crystal, as my knowledger is bigger than yesterday :)
IP IP Logged
<< Prev  Page  of 2
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum