Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Using blank strings Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
fahideki
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote fahideki Replybullet Topic: Using blank strings
     Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:25am
Hi,

I am trying to use the ' ' string in a formula, but the Crystal ignore that sentence and return to me a null string.
There is a way to use a blank string like ' ' in a formula in the Crystal?

Thanks
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 21 Mar 2011 at 10:28am

crystal only 'returns a Null' if it is trying to evaluate a formula that runs into a Null and the formula did not handle the Null correctly.

Please explain your formula and if you have NULLs in your record set.


Edited by DBlank - 21 Mar 2011 at 10:28am
IP IP Logged
fahideki
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote fahideki Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 2:08am
I have a line with a lot of collums.
In one that collums it could grow up 2 or more lines, I have enabled the can grow option and in all this collums I made a grid with "line option" in the field.
I need that the other fields, grow up together with the first field following the size of the "can grow", but with empty lines.

In the formula I count the size of the first field after this I made a loop that use a string of 1 space ' ' to grow the line together with the first field, using the size of the first field with the condition to stop.

In this case Crystal is not considering the string ' ', 1 space and the field not grow together with the first field.
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 22 Mar 2011 at 3:43am
just move the lines onto a section below (e.g.detailsB)
IP IP Logged
fahideki
Newbie
Newbie


Joined: 21 Mar 2011
Location: Brazil
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 3
Quote fahideki Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 8:07am
I'm think I'm not get to explain what I need.

Basicaly I need to do a border in each field in a row disconnected both, but when the first field grow using the can grow option the second field in the same row has to grow with the same size with empty spaces.

I think you can understand now.

Thanks so far
IP IP Logged
DBlank
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
Quote DBlank Replybullet Posted: 23 Mar 2011 at 9:51am
I understand and was ofering a different solution to the problem. 
Instead of using a border use lines to mimic your borders. Use vertical lines between each field a horizontal line in detail section b.
This will expand and contract all of you 'boxes' for all fiels in the same row at one time.
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum