Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Highlighting expert vs Formatting Formula Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
rvink
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Quote rvink Replybullet Topic: Highlighting expert vs Formatting Formula
     Posted: 09 Mar 2011 at 2:21pm
Hello, I have a table with numerical values. I want to color the high values so they stand out. I can do this either using the highlighting expert or a formatting formula on the background color. Formulas give much greater flexibility and you can also use the format painter to copy the formula to other fields. Are there any advantages to using the highlighting expert, or is it a redundant feature?

I also formatted the numbers to "Suppress if Zero" so that the non-zero cells stand out. Unfortunately this causes all formatting to be suppressed - borders, background color etc. This puts ugly white blanks in my nice colorful table. Is there a way to suppress zeros and retain formatting? The only thing I can think of is to use the highlighting expert or formatting formula to make the font color the same as the background if zero.

Thanks.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 4:02am
I was going to suggest making the font color the same as the background for the 0.  I have never used Hightlighting Expert, but seems to be a more visual version of fomulas, but it encapsulates several formulas at once.  It does both foreground and background and colors as well as borders and fonts....so it is the equivalent of maintaining 4 formulas instead of just 1.
 
It doesn't copy in the painter, which would have been nice.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
rvink
Groupie
Groupie
Avatar

Joined: 04 Feb 2008
Location: New Zealand
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 55
Quote rvink Replybullet Posted: 10 Mar 2011 at 12:06pm
Thanks. Yes it occurred to me that highlighting expert can do several things at once. Unfortunately it can only compare one field/formula to one static value. For example you can't highlight a field if it is greater than another field value, unless you write a formula to do it, in which case you may as well use a formatting formula.

Usually I only change one part of the formatting - the font color or background color, so using one formatting formula is no big deal.

It would be nice if formulas could reference attributes of a field directly and update several at once, instead of having a different formula for each. Something like this:

If CurrrentFieldValue > {Table.MaxValue} (
   CurrrentFieldValue.fontstyle = crBold;
   CurrrentFieldValue.fontcolor = RGB(255,128,128);
   CurrrentFieldValue.backcolor = crSilver;
   // etc
)

But I'm dreaming, I guess I've been programming too long in MS Access ... Smile
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum