| Author |
Message |
louisville2k10
Groupie
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
|

Topic: Return final running total in group footer Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 3:42am |
Hi, I need to return the report's final running total field in a group footer.
For instance, I have this:
User Amount Running Total
Person A 500 500
Person B 500 1000
Person C 500 1500
I want this:
User Amount Total
Person A 500 1500
Person B 500 1500
Person C 500 1500
My data is grouped by User. Please submit ANY possible solutions...I need to turn this report around asap.
|
|
Thanks for your help!
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 3:47am |
if you can get the total in your source data (e.g. a view or stored proc) then you can display it using that, otherwise I think your only option would be to get it from a sub report and pass it back into the main report as a shared variable.
|
IP Logged |
|
louisville2k10
Groupie
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:00am |
|
I think the subreport option is my only realistic one. How do I pass it along as a shared variable? Do shared variables allow me to reference the field in a formula in the Parent report? I need to be able to do this so I can do a calculation on it.
|
|
Thanks for your help!
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:13am |
Do you really need it displayed or do you just need it for calculations?
If only for calculations is it really a running total or can the same value be garnered from a summary function? If so you could avoid the subreport.
The sub report has to run before the location you want to dispaly it. Sicne you only want to run it once and get one number frmo it that can be used through out the main report I would stick it in report header A. You cannot suppress a subreport and still have it run so you have to suppress all fields in the subreport and then suppress the reportheaderA when blank.
In the main report create your shared variable formula field.
in the sub report create the same variable assigning the value to it there.
the shared variable value in the main report can be used in formulatic calcualtions.
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 4:16am |
|
actually, now that i think on it more, if the value can be garnered using any insert summary function you could display it anywhere in the main report without the sub-report.
|
IP Logged |
|
louisville2k10
Groupie
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 5:46am |
Well unfortunately, I cannot use the insert summary function because when I do, the final number it gives me is incorrect. The final number that the running total field gives me is correct if I sum on the change of username. If I could resolve that problem, then I would most definitely use the summary function - it seems to be the easiest.
I believe that it isn't working properly because my full blown report looks like this (see below). Because there are multiple records of the averageB field for each single record for the AmountA field for a given person. My grand total is about 5X as large as it should be.
Group 1
Username AmountA AverageB
Person A 500 50
Details 60
40
55
45
Person B 500 60
70
40
70
60
|
|
Thanks for your help!
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 16 Feb 2011 at 6:17am |
|
looks like the sub -report might have to be the solution
|
IP Logged |
|
louisville2k10
Groupie
Joined: 13 Sep 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 45
|

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 2:39am |
The subreport is now showing me the numbers I want to see, but I need to do a calculation that involves a field found in the subreport and a field found in the Parent report. Can you help me achieve this?
When I go to the Parent report, the subreport formula that I am using to calculate the subreport field (the one I want to use in the calculation - a final running total amount placed in the subreport's group footer) is not visible.
Here are pictures of what I'm working with: 
I'm trying to divide the total user manned time (1292.29 in this example) by the individual manned time (46.5) to get me a percentage user manned time of the whole department's manned time.
What a doozy this one is!
|
|
Thanks for your help!
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:28am |
did you create the same shared variable field in the main report?
name = mainreport_x
shared numbervar x;
x:=x
now you can use this formula field in your calculations
#totalmantimed / @mainreport_x
|
IP Logged |
|
DBlank
Moderator
Joined: 19 Dec 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9053
|

Posted: 17 Feb 2011 at 4:29am |
|
note that the @mainreport_x formual field can only be used in any section below where the subreport is placed.
Edited by DBlank - 17 Feb 2011 at 4:29am
|
IP Logged |
|
|
|