Report Design
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Report Design
Message Icon Topic: Complex report Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Prufrock451
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Prufrock451 Replybullet Topic: Complex report
     Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 8:54am
Hello, all. Finishing my first week working with Crystal Reports and I've hit a wall on designing a complex chart.

The setup:
One table, containing (among others) the fields "Bug Reported Date," "Bug Status," and "Bug Last Updated Date."

I have created the following reports with charts:

1: Month-by-month count of newly reported bugs.
2: Month-by-month count of closed bugs (last updated date, with bug status 'closed' selected).
3 and 4: Running totals for each.

What I need to create is this monster:

A month-by-month count of ([newly reported bugs] MINUS [closed bugs]), to show the gap. And then a running total of that gap, on the same chart.

What's the best way to proceed?

thanks in advance.
IP IP Logged
lockwelle
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 21 Dec 2007
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 4374
Quote lockwelle Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:31am
my generic answer to any report is to create a stored procedure to do the work for you.  Crystal is very limited in what it can do, but stored procs aren't.  You can easily get all the bugs in one temp table, mark the ones that are completed and return all the ones that aren't to the report or any combination of information that you want.  To make your life the easiest, put all the data for all the parts of your report in one dataline, and life is usually pretty easy (at least it works for me).
 
It all starts with the stored proc, which gives you a much greater degree of flexiblity to get your task accomplished.
 
I know this is very general, but it's also why we have jobs....cause not everyone can create the reports that they want.
 
HTH
IP IP Logged
Prufrock451
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 21 Jan 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 2
Quote Prufrock451 Replybullet Posted: 21 Jan 2011 at 10:44am
I was afraid you'd say that. I guess I'll have to learn SQL programming on top of learning Crystal Reports. No TV for me for a while... :)
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum