Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: Crystal XI SR1 & Java Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
Kajun Kevin
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 12 Jan 2011
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Quote Kajun Kevin Replybullet Topic: Crystal XI SR1 & Java
     Posted: 12 Jan 2011 at 11:46am
When installing Crystal Reports XI, Java RE 1.4.2_04 also gets installed. We only use Crystal Reports to edit reports in our Oracle database system. To the best of my knowledge we don't use any of the Java integration.

Here's the issue: one of our employees is having issues with some other software they are trying configure that uses Java. The software vendor says to make sure that we have the latest version of Java installed, and all older versions un-installed.

When you go to Java's website, it installs the latest version of Java no problem, but then says that there is an older unsupported version also installed. The link Java's website offers as a solution refers you to the Add/Remove programs applet in the Control Panel. This older version is not listed there.

The older version is installed here: c:\Program Files\Buisness Objects\JRE\javaws\javaws.exe

The only other place I can find any references to this older version is in the Java control panel applet, under the Java tab, then click view. This pulls up the Java Runtime Environment Settings which lists both the CR IX version and the new version of Java. Now here there is a "Enable" box that I have off-checked, but this doesn't seem to effect anything.

Now I am getting blamed because I cannot remove the CR IX version of JAVA. They are passing the buck claiming that this is the source for their problems with the other software.

So here is my questions:
1. How can I completely uninstall the Crystal Reports version of Java without uninstalling Crystal Reports?

2. How can I make sure that doing so will not interfere with the rest of Crystal (other than presumably disabling the Java integration in reports)?

3. If removing this Java does interfere with our ability to edit reports in Crystal, is there a way to reinstall it? (I guess I could always uninstall and reinstall Crystal)
Kevin
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum