Technical Questions
 Crystal Reports Forum : Crystal Reports 9 through 2022 : Technical Questions
Message Icon Topic: link databases string and number fields Post Reply Post New Topic
Author Message
LindaOSU
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 06 Dec 2010
Location: United States
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 9
Quote LindaOSU Replybullet Topic: link databases string and number fields
     Posted: 05 Jan 2011 at 1:19pm
This should be easy for some of the super users.  I need to link two tables, in one table the field is a string and the other it is a number.  I know you have to use an SQL statement in the Add Command region of the Database expert.  I am a bit fuzzy on the exact procedure though.  Do a need to create a new table with a converted field?  What syntax would be needed?  I have no other way to link the tables.  In Access I would create a query with a expression field of the converted number to string, and run the report from the query. 
I guess I am saying I don't know how to run a Crystal Report from a query.  Thanks.
IP IP Logged
Keikoku
Senior Member
Senior Member


Joined: 01 Dec 2010
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 386
Quote Keikoku Replybullet Posted: 06 Jan 2011 at 2:48am
The exact procedure is not much different from how you usually create reports without using a Command.

If you are able to accomplish this linking through a SQL statement, then that's great, you can just add that query as a command to the report.

When you have added a command to your report, it will show up in your field explorer. Expand it and drag the field to your report and it will show all of the recorded retrieved by the query.
IP IP Logged
elamantia
Newbie
Newbie
Avatar

Joined: 20 Aug 2008
Online Status: Offline
Posts: 24
Quote elamantia Replybullet Posted: 14 Jan 2013 at 4:50am
Hi,  Could you please give more detail and/or an example of this?  I'm trying to link INDIVIDUALID (number data type) with alternate_id_1txt (string data type).  These tables are from two different DB's.  So I'm getting the warning 'More than one database driver has been used in this report.  If you want to change the database drivers use Database/Set Location.  Please make sure that no SQL Expression is added and no server-side group-by is performed.'  Will that be a problem?
 
Thanks so much!
minnie_eye
IP IP Logged
Printable version Printable version

Forum Jump
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot create polls in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum